Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV)
Contact the Registry of Motor Vehicles directly (RMV website) with any questions you may have regarding driver’s licenses, application procedures, car registrations, etc.
Using a Foreign License in Massachusetts
The RMV in Massachusetts recognizes all foreign driver’s licenses if certain conditions are met:
- Must be at least 16 years of age.
- Must be in possession of a valid driver’s license when operating a motor vehicle in Massachusetts.
- May operate a motor vehicle in Massachusetts of the same type in which licensed to operate in any other state or country.
- If the foreign license is not in English or does not have an English translation, must have one of the following:
- An International Driving Permit (IDP) (you can only acquire this in your home country) *An International Driver’s License is not sufficient.
- A Translation into English of a Foreign License document (UMass Translation Center can assist with this for a fee)
- An alternative translation document that contains a photo and English translation that closely matches the information from an IDP
- Must not be suspended or revoked.
How to Obtain a Massachusetts Driver’s License
Your immigration document must be valid for a stay of at least 12 months to be eligible.
Applicants over age 18 are eligible to apply for a driver’s license at any RMV office (directions to 116 Pleasant Street, Easthampton are available here).
- Start the process online here and print out the QR code to take to the RMV with your documents
- View the required documents here (they cannot be laminated)
- Take items from #1 and #2 to RMV to complete a Permit Exam and an eye exam
- Pass a Road Test at the RMV and receive your driver’s license in the mail within a few weeks.
*DENIAL NOTICE: For those people not eligible for a Social Security Number, you must still APPLY for a Social Security Number and ask for a denial notice from Social Security Administration. The denial notice must be submitted to the Registry instead of the Social Security Number AND BE DATED WITHIN 30 DAYS OF SUBMISSION.
Purchasing a Car = Expensive Process
- Cost of car plus sales tax (currently at 6.25%)
- Fee for Car Registration, Title, and Car Inspection (annual cost)
- Excise Tax (an annual tax based on the value of your car)
- Car Insurance (mandatory in Massachusetts and quite expensive)