Non–UMass Amherst Sponsored Groups

Non–UMass Amherst Sponsored Groups

Non –UMass Amherst sponsored groups include visitors under such statuses as F-1 OPT/STEM OPT, J-1 Fulbright, J-1 USAID, J-1 scholars sponsored by another U.S. institution, and a J-2 with an Employment Authorization Document (EAD).

Sponsored Groups

Fulbright and USAID Visiting Scholars come to UMass through a similar process as UMass Amherst-sponsored visiting J-1 scholars. However, their U.S. visas are sponsored by the U.S. Department of State instead of the UMass Amherst. Like UMass Amherst J-1 visiting scholars, hosting academic departments are responsible for providing logistical support and an academic home to these visitors. The IPO also provides information and resources about the campus and local communities via email and our newsletters.

Before Arrival

Prior to your international visiting scholar arriving on campus and to ensure that the Office of Research Compliance completes a screening and export control review, please follow the non-UMass sponsored visitor procedure below. 

Log in to UMass VIP, go to Departmental Services, add a new person to start a request then pick the Non-UMass Sponsored International Visitor Screening Task. You will need to upload the documents below to the e-form prior to submitting it. 

  • Invitation letter from sponsoring UMass faculty member
  • Signed Visiting Scholar/Volunteer Agreement
  • CV/Resume
  • Passport
  • IIE (Institute of International Education) Institutional Reply Form (IRF) for Fulbright Scholars or other related USAID Form

After a department accepts a Scholar, the Fulbright program (through IIE) will send the Institutional Reply Form to the hosting department or professor to complete. In some cases, this form may be sent directly to the International Programs Office.  The IPO will complete the fields relevant to the incoming Fulbright and the hosting department must complete the fields specific to their department and the academic activity the Fulbright Scholar will conduct at UMass Amherst.

Please also upload and forward any forms related to IIE/USAID if this requires IPO’s assistance.

For international employees not sponsored by UMass Amherst who need access to the University resources, the hosting department will need to request NENS access. Each department administrator can request this access only AFTER the international employees has arrived in the U.S.

Any international employee holding F-1 Curricular Practical Training (CPT), Optional Practical Training (OPT), STEM OPT, or J-1 Academic Training (AT) who are not sponsored by UMass Amherst will need to continue to communicate with their own sponsoring U.S. university and will need to direct all immigration-related questions to that institution. The IPO is not responsible for determining eligibility of a campus position for those on OPT/STEM OPT or AT. Students and their departments should confirm with the sponsoring institution. 

A J-2 visa holder with an Employment Authorization Documents (EAD) can work in any capacity for the length of their approved work permission.

J-1 scholars who are sponsored by an outside sponsor (i.e., another higher education institution, etc.), must verify with their program sponsor in advance if they are eligible to accept an additional appointment/affiliation with UMass Amherst.