Important Immigration Tips for Winter Break
As we get closer to the end of the 2019 fall semester, the International Programs Office (IPO) would like to remind international students of the following critical points regarding immigration status:
1) Travel Signature on your I-20 (F-1) or DS-2019 (J-1) forms
Your travel signatures are valid for one year from the last signature date. If you, or any F-2 or J-2 dependents will be travelling internationally this winter, please be sure to obtain an updated travel signature from the IPO. Travel signatures will take a minimum of 24-hours so please do not leave this until the last minute. Plan ahead!
2) Be sure to always carry original documents with you when you travel (original I-20 or DS-2019 forms), and double check the expiration date on your F-1 or J-1 visa. Often your visa expiration date will not always match your I-20 or DS-2019 ending date. Your I-20 or DS-2019 ending date must remain valid at all times. Your visa stamp in your passport only needs to be valid for international travel. Please contact the IPO if you are unsure about any of these points.
3) If you will be completing your academic studies at the end of fall semester (or during winter session), or will be doing an authorized internship, OPT and CPT application information can be found on our employment authorization site.
4) Winter IPO in-person advising is by appointment only effective December 20, 2019. Please call 413-545-2710 for appointment information and winter hours.
5) Finally, if you will be staying in the Amherst area this winter, check out the Living at UMass 365 website for a detailed listing of campus services and support during the winter months.
On behalf of the entire International Programs Office, we wish you the best of luck in during finals, and happy holidays and New Year!