J-1 Student Leaving UMass

J-1 Student Leaving UMass

If you encounter an E-Form access issue and have tried accessing the E-form in multiple web browsers, please email iss[at]umass[dot]edu

Program Completion

If are nearing your program completion at UMass, you are permitted a 30-day grace period following it to decide your future plans and to ensure your immigration status is not impacted. If your DS-2019 end date corresponds to this date, no action is required. If your DS-2019 end date does not correspond to the program completion, please contact your IPO Advisor to assist.

Review the options available to you BEFORE the end date listed on the DS-2019:

  1. Transfer to a new institution or start a new degree program at UMass
    • Transfer to a new institution: Students transferring their immigration record to a new  institution should follow the instructions below. 
    • New Degree Level at UMass: if you have been accepted into a new degree level at UMass (i.e. Bachelors to Masters), the IPO will contact you with instructions on how to update your DS-2019 once you have been accepted into your chosen program. 

**Special note to J-1 Non-Degree students: Please contact your IPO advisor if you wish to be admitted to a program of study in the U.S. Non-Degree status does not allow matriculation to a Degree seeking status.

       2. Change your immigration status. You can change your immigration status from J-1 to another status. Please work with an immigration attorney if this is your plan AND inform the IPO. Please complete the Change of Status eForm.

       3.*Apply for Academic Training (AT). Your AT application must be approved by the IPO prior to your completion of studies date. Please review the AT information on the IPO website.

Review the options available to you AFTER the end date listed on the DS-2019:

       1. Leave the U.S. within 30 days. *Note: if you leave the U.S. during your 30-day grace period you are not permitted re-entry on your J-1 visa and DS-2019. If you want to return during this time, you must use a different immigration status like ESTA, a B1/B2 tourist waiver, etc. 

Note: the 30-day grace period also applies to J-2 dependents (if the J-1 DS-2019 is shortened to accommodate the new completion date, the same applies to the J-2. Please keep this in mind if the J-2 has an EAD or is currently enrolled in a program of their own. The J-2 cannot remain in the U.S. without the J-1.

Withdrawal from UMass

Applicable to degree-seeking students only. If you plan to withdraw from the University, take a temporary absence from your studies, or have other reasons that would prevent you from maintaining your active full-time student status, please contact your IPO Advisor as soon as possible to consult with an advisor prior to making your final decision.

In addition to notifying the International Programs Office regarding your immigration status, you will need to take official steps of notifying the Registrar’s Office of your withdrawal from the University. Refer to the Registrar's Office website for details.

Graduate Students:  Please work closely with your academic department/advisor prior to withdrawing.  They can advise accordingly.

Transfer from UMass

If you are planning to transfer to another U.S. university or college, please access our Transfer Out E-Form. Use your UMass NETID credentials and choose Amherst as your campus to log into the system.

Transfer out requests take 3 business days to process but please try to submit it no later than 20 days before the end date of your DS-2019. WE CANNOT TRANSFER YOUR RECORD ONCE YOUR DS-2019 HAS EXPIRED. Please work with your new institution on how to acquire your DS-2019 once transferred.

Please review the form prior to submission as it is important to have all requested information available at the time of request to ensure there are no delays. Once you have collected and entered all pertinent information and submitted, your IPO advisor will be notified have submitted the form.

  • Program Number: starts with P followed by 6 numbers
  • Release Date: Usually after the last date of finals or the last date of your contract (for graduate students). The release date must be within 30 days of your program completion date or the end of your DS-2019 (whichever is earlier). 

Your new school may request that your IPO Advisor complete an additional Transfer Form. Please either attach it to the IPO’s Transfer Out E-Form or put your IPO Advisor’s information in the new institutions’ electronic transfer e-form. 

Bars and Limitations J-1 Student Categories

  • 12 Month Bar: Please keep in mind that students in J-1 categories of Student BachelorsStudent MastersStudent DoctorateStudent Non-Degree (whose stay exceeds 6 months) will have a 12 month bar on participation in a J-1 status of Research Scholar or Professor. There is no waiver for this. Please update the IPO if you do leave your employment early and depart the U.S. as the end date will need to be updated and will allow the 12-month bar to begin.
  • Two-Year Home Country Residency Requirement [INA 212(e)]: You will become subject if your J-1 program is funded by either your government or the US government, involves specialized knowledge or skills deemed necessary by your home country, or if you come to the US for graduate medical training. If this requirement applies to you, you must return to your home country for a cumulative total of two years at the end of your J-1 program. You are not prohibited from traveling to the US but you may not benefit from certain employment-based or family-based visas until the requirement is satisfied. This requirement currently applies to all dependents in J-2 status under the J-1. To verify if you are subject, please confirm by looking at your J-1 visa stamp and/or the consulate signature section on your original DS-2019.

There is no unemployment time for a J-1 on AT; you must always have active employment. If no further employment is requested immediately following the end of your AT, the 30-day grace period will begin.