J-1 Student Dependents
Requesting J-2 Sponsorship
J-1 visa holders are eligible to request their spouse and/or child (children) to accompany them to the United States on a dependent visa.
Please access our Dependent Request E-Form. To login, enter your UMass NETID credentials and choose Amherst as your campus.
- Please scroll through the form first - it is important to have all requested information available. Once you have collected and entered all pertinent information, please hit the submit button. IPO staff will be notified once you have submitted the form.
- Undergraduate Students: Please contact IPO.
- Graduate Students: You will need to submit finances for a single graduate student plus each dependent. Additional funding is required. NOTE: If you have an assistantship, please upload a copy of your contract. If additional funding is needed, IPO will contact you.
Dependent requests take 5 business days to be processed.
J-2 Employment Application
Dependents (spouse, children 15-21) of J-1 holders are eligible to work with special permission. The IPO cannot advise on J-2 applications as they are personal application. More information is available here.
When bringing family members to the U.S., please read the important information on Schools and Childcare.
Bars and Limitations J-1 Student Categories
*these apply to the J-2 as soon as they enter the U.S. in J-2 status
- 12 Month Bar: Please keep in mind that students in J-1 categories of Student Bachelors, Student Masters, Student Doctorate, Student Non-Degree (whose stay exceeds 6 months) will have a 12 month bar on participation in a J-1 status of Research Scholar or Professor. There is no waiver for this. Please update the IPO if you do leave your program early and depart the U.S. as the end date will need to be updated and will allow the 12-month bar to begin.
- Two-Year Home Country Residency Requirement [INA 212(e)]: You will become subject if your J-1 program is funded by either your government or the US government, involves specialized knowledge or skills deemed necessary by your home country, or if you come to the US for graduate medical training. If this requirement applies to you, you must return to your home country for a cumulative total of two years at the end of your J-1 program. You are not prohibited from traveling to the US but you may not benefit from certain employment-based or family-based visas until the requirement is satisfied. This requirement currently applies to all dependents in J-2 status under the J-1. To verify if you are subject, please confirm by looking at your J-1 visa stamp and/or the consulate signature section on your original DS-2019.
**Before taking any action in regards to additional visa types of a J-2, while in the U.S., please see an IPO Advisor as soon as possible