J-1 Scholar/Employee Dependents

J-1 Scholar/Employee Dependents

Requesting J-2 sponsorship

J-1 visa holders are eligible to request their spouse and/or child (children) to accompany them to the United States on a dependent visa. 

Please access our Dependent Request E-Form. To login, enter your UMass NETID credentials and choose Amherst as your campus.

Please scroll through the form first - it is important to have all requested information available. Once you have collected and entered all pertinent information, please hit the submit button.  IPO staff will be notified once you have submitted the form.

Dependent requests take 10-12 business days to be processed. 

Family Resources

When bringing family members to the U.S., please read the important information on Schools and Childcare.

J-2 Study

J-2’s (spouses or child/children) have no restrictions with regards to study as long as their J-1’s record is still active.

J-2 Employment

Dependents (spouse, children ages 15-21) of J-1 holders are eligible to work with permission from USCIS. The IPO cannot advise on J-2 applications as they are personal application. More information is available here.

Bars and Limitations

*These apply to the J-2 as soon as they enter the U.S. in J-2 status.

Two-Year Home Country Residency Requirement [INA 212(e)] 

Be sure to read page two of your DS-2019. You and your J-2 dependents will be subject to this requirement if your J-1 program is funded by either your government or the U.S. government, involves specialized knowledge or skills deemed necessary by your home country, or if you come to the U.S. for graduate medical training. If this requirement applies to you, you must return to your home country for a cumulative total of two years at the end of your J-1 program. You are not prohibited from traveling to the U.S., but you may not benefit from certain employment-based or family-based visas until the requirement is satisfied. 

24 Month Bar

If you are coming to UMass Amherst as a J-1 Research Scholar or Professor, you and your J-2 dependents will become subject to the 24-month bar if you completed a J-1 Research Scholar or Professor program of ANY LENGTH. You and your dependents must then wait at least 24 months before you may begin a new J-1 program in the Research Scholar or Professor category.