F-1 Student Leaving UMass

Program Completion

The IPO building remains closed to the public but we are still processing E-Form requests.

If you encounter an E-Form access issue and have tried accessing the E-form in multiple web browsers, please email iss[at]umass[dot]edu

If you have completed your program at UMass, utilize one of the options below within the 60-day grace period of completing your program to ensure your immigration status is not impacted.

  1. Leave the U.S. *Note: if you leave the U.S. during your 60-day grace period you are not permitted re-entry on your F-1 visa and I-20. If you want to return during this time, you must use a different immigration status like ESTA, a B1/B2 tourist waiver, etc.
  2. Apply for OPT. Your OPT application must be at USCIS by day 60 of your grace period or you are not eligible for OPT.
  3. Transfer to a new institution or start a new degree program at UMass
    1. Transfer to a new institution: Students transferring their immigration record to a new institution should follow the instructions under the “Transfer From UMass” section below.
    2. New Degree Program: if you have been accepted into a new degree level at UMass (i.e. Bachelors to Masters), the IPO will contact you with instructions on how to change your degree level on your I-20.
  4. Change your immigration status. You can change your immigration status from F-1 to another status. Please work with an immigration attorney if this is your plan.
    1. If you are no longer a student at UMass after changing your status, your NENS access to UMass systems (access to UMass email, UMass VIP, etc.) will be deactivated 30 days after your new change of status begins. Please plan accordingly.

Note: the 60-day grace period also applies to F-2 dependents

Withdrawal from UMass

Applicable to degree-seeking students only. If you plan to withdraw from the University, take a temporary absence from your studies for 5 months or more, or have other reasons that would prevent you from maintaining your active full-time student status, please contact your IPO Advisor as soon as possible to consult with an advisor prior to making your final decision.

In addition to notifying the International Programs Office regarding your immigration status, you will need to take official steps of notifying the Registrar’s Office of your withdrawal from the University. Refer to the Registrar's Office website for details.

Graduate Students:  Please work closely with your academic department/advisor first.  They can advise accordingly.

Transfer from UMass

If you are planning to transfer to another U.S. university or college, please access our Transfer Out E-Form. Use your UMass NETID credentials and choose Amherst as your campus to log into the system.

Please scroll through the form first - it is important to have all requested information available at the time of request to ensure there are no delays. Once you have collected and entered all pertinent information and submitted, your IPO advisor will be notified have submitted the form.

  • School Code for F-1 Students: is a 15-digit code and starts with 3 letters. It can be acquired from your new institution
  • Release Date: Usually after the last date of finals or the last date of your contract (for graduate students). The release date must be within 60 days of your program completion date.
    • Students on OPT/STEM OPT: the release date you choose will be the last day you are permitted to work on your OPT/STEM OPT. The transfer release date can be anytime while you are on OPT and 60 days after the EAD expiration date.

Your new school may request that your IPO Advisor complete an additional Transfer Form. Please either attach it to the IPO’s Transfer Out E-Form or put your IPO Advisor’s information in the new institutions’ electronic transfer e-form.

Transfer out requests take 3 business days to process but please try to submit it no later than day 50 of your 60-day grace period to ensure enough time in case there are errors on your request and for IPO processing. Please work with your new institution on how to acquire your I-20 once transferred.