F-1 Student Employment

F-1 Student Employment

There are multiple employment options available to F-1 students.


F-1 students are eligible to work on-campus as long as you are maintaining your immigration status.  Employment is limited to a total of 20-hours per week (including assistantships) while school is in session, and 20+ hours per week during vacation periods (i.e. Thanksgiving Break, Winter Break, Spring Break, Summer). Remember to Apply for your Social Security Number (SSN) and complete I-9 paperwork with Human Resources. Employment of an academic nature (teaching, research, etc.) at one of the Five Colleges (Smith College, Mt. Holyoke College, Amherst College and Hampshire College) is generally considered “on-campus employment.” Please contact your IPO advisor for more information on F-1 student employment at one of the 5 College campuses.

How to Find an On-Campus Job

Search for jobs here. When you open this page, in the Search Engine choose ‘Non work-study’ and ‘On-campus.’

More information can be found with the Student Employment Office.


The IPO building remains closed to the public but we are still processing E-Form requests. Per existing and updated federal guidance, the IPO may now print and sign I-20s electronically and email them to you.

If you encounter an E-Form access issue and have tried accessing the E-form in multiple web browsers, please email iss[at]umass[dot]edu

F-1 Students are eligible to work off-campus with prior authorization from the International Programs Office. 

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Initial 12 Month Optional Practical Training (OPT)

24 Month STEM Extension Optional Practical Training (STEM OPT)