Current federal guidance still permits the IPO to sign I-20s electronically and email them to you.
If you encounter an E-Form access issue and have tried accessing the E-form in multiple web browsers, please email iss[at]umass[dot]edu.
The information below is for students in F-1 status. It provides information about off-campus employment authorization called Curricular Practical Training (CPT), which is "alternate work/study, internship, cooperative education, or any other type of required internship or practicum which is offered by sponsoring employers through cooperative agreements with the school."
CPT is a benefit of F-1 status. You are not guaranteed CPT and must meet all eligibility requirements to be authorized.
Students wishing to learn more about CPT, RSVP on Eventbrite for the Fall 2021 CPT workshops for current F-1 students via Zoom. Please refer to our CPT Presentation available here along with the information below for more information. If you have any additional questions, please email your IPO advisor.
Please be aware that CPT opportunities vary within UMass. Some programs may allow CPT while school is in session, while others only permit CPT during summer and/or winter terms. Students should determine this by contacting the appropriate person in their college (see “CPT Application Steps” below).
- Using CPT to extend time to completion of studies when there is no academic need/course requirement to do so is not permitted. CPT must be an integral part of your degree program. You should not be using CPT just for off-campus work authorization.
- Employment for the sole purpose of earning extra money or to gain work experience is not an acceptable use of CPT. CPT must be part of your degree.
- CPT is not required for on-campus (UMass Amherst) employment. Employment at one of the Five Colleges of an academic nature (teaching, research, etc.) is considered on-campus and does not need CPT approval. Other employment (office work, athletics, etc.) is not permitted at the Five Colleges without authorization. Check with your IPO advisor if you are unsure.
- CPT is not required for employment outside of the U.S., or employment in the U.S. that is not compensated (i.e. volunteer or non-salaried). However, there may be situations where CPT authorization is beneficial even if you are outside the U.S. (i.e. outside the U.S. but being paid inside the U.S.). Check with your IPO advisor if you are unsure.
- You must apply for and be authorized by the IPO for CPT authorization BEFORE you begin working (but you may accept the job offer before CPT approval). Failure to be approved for CPT before beginning employment is a violation of F-1 immigration status.