ISS International Scholars

International scholars, researchers and faculty who plan to come to UMass must be directly sponsored by a campus academic department.  The hosting UMass department will be able to facilitate an official offer/invitation and will need to contact the IPO to initiate further immigration sponsorship.  If you have not already secured sponsorship from a UMass academic department you will need to do so before contacting the IPO.

If you will be a tenure-track faculty member please contact Nichole Hunley for H1-B visa information.

All other internationals coming to UMass as visiting faculty members (non-tenure track), lecturers, researchers (including post-doctoral researchers), will be sponsored for a J1 Exchange Visitor visa.

J1 Funding:  UMass is not required to provide funding for a J1 Exchange Visitor.  Funding sources can include a U.S. government agency (i.e. Fulbright scholarship), an international organization, the Exchange Visitor’s government, a Binational Commission of the Exchange Visitor’s country, the Exchange Visitor’s employer or other professional organization, or any combination of thereof.

PLEASE NOTE:  UMass does not provide J-1 visa sponsorship for those funded solely by personal or family funds.  Personal funds may indeed supplement overall funding, but may not be a substitute for institutional (UMass), governmental or other agency funding.


Please complete this online arrival form after you enter the United States. Your SEVIS status will be validated after you have met with Nancy Condon and submitted this online form. 

  • Enter your UMass/SPIRE login credentials (what you use to log into your UMass email account) and choose Amherst as your campus to log into the system.

Please scroll through the form first - it is important to have all requested information available before beginning this form (this includes all requested documents to upload). Once you have collected and entered all of the requested information, please hit the submit button.  You will be notified by email once you have successfully submitted the form.