PREPARE TO GO ABROAD!
- Follow instructions from your program to confirm your intent to enroll, which may include paying a deposit.
- Confirm entry requirements for your host country, including visas and immunizations. Not all programs require a visa.
- Cancel your UMass housing if you live on campus by following the instructions sent by Residential Life Assignments. Pay attention to the deadline to avoid the cancellation fee.
- Submit your UMass Abroad forms to receive final acceptance from UMass IPO.
- Commit to your program on UMass Abroad once you have been accepted. (Do not withdraw from UMass.)
- Attend the mandatory Pre-Departure Orientation.
- Understand payments, billing, and financial aid: How the Money Works for Education Abroad
- Plan for a healthy semester abroad.
- Buy your plane ticket, AFTER your Exchange University or partner program confirms your arrival date.
- Configure the Microsoft Authenticator Mobile App before you go abroad so you can access your UMass accounts. Once it is installed, review IT’s tips to avoid issues accessing UMass Amherst services while abroad. When using Microsoft Authenticator, opt out of SMS-only alerts and select a different security option.
No matter where you are in your journey to Be UMass Abroad, here are some resources to help you plan:
Still have questions? We’re here for you!