To be eligible for study abroad, UMass Amherst students must:
- Be in good standing with the University. This means students are in good academic standing with no open Dean of Students cases.
- Each program has a GPA requirement. Students who do not meet the requirement should email their EA Advisor to find out what options they have for going abroad.
- Please review the International Programs Office and Dean of Students Conduct Clearance Process.
- First-Year students must complete two semesters before they can go abroad. Some programs may have a higher minimum class standing.
- Transfer students can apply to go abroad for their second semester at UMass based on their GPA from their previous school(s).
Watch Essentials, the mandatory information session for all students in all majors interested in all countries.
Education Abroad Advising Center Drop-In Advising Hours
Monday – Friday
10am – 4pm
No Appointment Needed!
International Programs Office, 70 Butterfield Terrace
Next to Gorman, behind the construction for the new Newman Center
Peer Advisors and EA Advisors are also available for appointments. You can meet with us as often as you like by following the instructions here.
Education Abroad Peer Advisors have been carefully trained to:
- Assist you in gathering information about your options
- Offer advice about what to consider when selecting a program
- Help you navigate the application and post-acceptance processes
- Share their own experiences going abroad
- Offer travel tips
- Refer you to other resources
- Direct you to program or country-specific resources
To be eligible to study abroad with UMass, a non-UMass Amherst student must:
- Be enrolled full-time in a U.S. college or university
- Have completed freshman year
- Have a GPA of 2.5 and above (some programs require 3.0 or better)
- Have no outstanding disciplinary or judicial actions (all must be resolved before attending the program)
- Acquire written permission from your home institution by completing the Home Approval Form
- Get approval from the UMass IPO
Steps to take for Non-UMass Amherst Students to study abroad:
- Search for programs that are “Open To" non-UMass Amherst students on the IPO Education Abroad Website.
- Speak with your home university about their study abroad policies and your graduation requirements
- Create a UMassAbroad account and follow the instructions for the signature verification document and form of identification
- Click on the Advising Application and complete your profile and the signature documents
- Speak or meet with your UMass Education Abroad Advisor to start the application process
- Meet with your home institution academic advisor to make sure you choose the right classes while abroad
- Once you and your UMass Education Abroad Advisor decide on a specific program for you, apply to the program (program requirements vary)
- Complete all required UMassAbroad account documents and all program materials
- Attend a Pre-Departure Conference or Orientation for your program
- Go abroad!