Graduate Students Abroad

Graduate Students Abroad 

Update on COVID-19 

Due to COVID-19, university-related international travel continues to be restricted for faculty and staff, and students. Please see this page.  

Register Your Travel

You can register your university-related international travel on the university Travel Registry. Please see the definition of what constitutes university-related travel. If you are using university funds, you will need to complete a Pre-Travel Authorization. Directions for registering travel are available here.

Resources for International Travel: 

Country Specific Information

If you are interested in country-specific information for your planned destination(s), please contact the IPO. The IPO has a subscription to an intelligence provider, Worldaware. Country or city reports include ratings and information about security as well as emergency numbers and embassy contacts, health considerations, entry/exit requirements, and transportation information.

International Emergency Travel Insurance Coverage

Here is a link to the insurance brochure. Graduate students traveling abroad on university-related travel are covered by the International Emergency Travel Insurance Policy purchased by the UMass system. This coverage is intended to provide the first line of service and protection to the university’s travelers but prior to traveling, employees should still contact their personal health insurance company to make certain they understand what additional coverage they may need and to maintain their primary insurance coverage. 

Obtaining a Visa for Foreign Travel

Visas are required for travel to many countries.  Even countries where U.S. citizens may not normally require a visa, the purpose of travel and length of proposed stay may trigger a visa requirement. IPO cannot provide advice for individual travelers (unless you are a student on one of our approved study abroad programs or exchanges), however we have created these visa guidelines for general reference only.  

Export Control Compliance 

It is the responsibility of all campus community members to be familiar with and adhere to U.S. export controls. Export controls are laws and regulations that regulate and restrict the release of controlled items, such as critical technologies and equipment, technical data, software, and chemical and biological materials, and information and services to foreign nationals and foreign countries for reasons of national security and foreign policy. Export controls apply to all activities – not just sponsored research projects. If you have questions about the application of export controls to your travel, please contact the Office of Research Compliance at (413) 545-5283 or visit the Export Control website.

UMass Travel Clinic 

University Health Services (UHS) has a full service Travel Clinic and offers care to UMass faculty and staff, along with their spouses, domestic partners and/or dependents. The UMass Travel Clinic can help you learn about specific health needs for your destination as well as administer the vaccinations you might need depending on your destination.  Appointments are required and you should be seen at least four weeks before you leave. Before making an appointment, consult your health insurance plan for coverage information. Some insurers may require a referral from your primary care provider. 

Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) Registration 

Faculty and staff are encouraged to register their travel with the US Department of State's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program. STEP is a free service to allow US citizens and nationals traveling abroad to enroll their trip with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Travelers receive important information from the Embassy about safety conditions in their destination country and registration helps the US Embassy contact you in an emergency. Please note: non-US citizens cannot register their travel but can subscribe to country-specific alerts and messages. 

US Department of State Travel Advisories and Alerts 

Please see the US Department of State website for country-specific Travel Advisories and Alerts.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Travel Health Notices

CDC Travel notices are designed to inform travelers and clinicians about current health issues related to specific destinations. These issues may arise from disease outbreaks, special events or gatherings, natural disasters, or other conditions that may affect travelers’ health. You can review the travel notices on the CDC Travel Health Notices website and you can review country specific information by selecting your country of travel here