There are several reporting deadlines for students on STEM OPT. To review your deadlines, use the STEM OPT Reporting Calculator (this will open an excel sheet).
You should use your UMass NETID and password to access SPIRE or the E-forms below.
Residential address, email address, or phone number changes, please update your information in SPIRE.
Validations: STEM OPT students are required to confirm their personal information and employment every 6 months. **NOTE: The IPO can report these on your behalf 30 days before or after your validation deadline. If you are unsure of your deadline, use the STEM OPT Reporting Calculator above.
- 6 Month Validation: submit the STEM OPT Validation E-Form (confirm personal and employment information)
- 12 Month Validation and Annual Evaluation: turn in all 5 pages of your current employer’s completed I-983 and complete the Annual Evaluation on the top of page 5 to submit the STEM OPT Validation E-Form. Note: you do not need to redo pages 1-4 if nothing has changed; you need to complete the top portion of page 5 and then upload all 5 pages of the I-983.
- 18 Month Validation: submit the STEM OPT Validation E-Form (confirm personal and employment information)
- 24 months/End of Practical Training Final Evaluation: turn in all 5 pages of your current employer’s I-983 and complete the Final Evaluation on the bottom of page 5 to submit the STEM OPT Validation E-Form. Note: you do not need to redo pages 1-4 if nothing has changed; you need to complete the bottom portion of page 5 and then upload all 5 pages of the I-983.
Change of Employers while on pending or approved STEM OPT
If you change employers while on pending or approved STEM OPT, you can update your employment using the STEM OPT Extension Employer Reporting E-Form.
Documentation needed when changing employers:
- I-983 with final evaluation completed for prior employer: Turn in all 5 pages of your prior employer’s I-983 and complete the Final Evaluation on the bottom of page 5. Note: you do not need to redo pages 1-4 if nothing has changed; you need to complete the bottom portion of page 5 and then upload all 5 pages of the I-983.
- If your STEM OPT has not officially started (i.e. you are technically still on OPT with a pending STEM OPT application, the final evaluation is not required as you have not started STEM OPT yet).
- New I-983 completed for new employer
Material Changes to your I-983
If you make a Material Change to your I-983, you can update your information using the STEM OPT Extension Employer Reporting E-Form.
Material Changes include but are not limited to:
- Any change to the employer's IRS Employer Identification Number (EIN - the company's Federal Tax ID number) resulting from a change in the employer's ownership or structure, such as a corporate restructuring
- Any reduction in student compensation that is not tied to a reduction in hours worked
- Any significant decrease in the number of hours of work per week
- Any decrease in hours of work that would reduce the student's total hours with that employer to less than 20 hours per week
- Changes to the employer's commitments or student's learning objectives as documented on the Form I-983
Confirm with your IPO advisor if you are unsure if an updated I-983 due to a material change is necessary.
If you are eligible for and have received cap gap, submit the OPT/STEM OPT I-20 reprint form so we can verify this and provide an updated I-20. More information on eligibility for the cap gap extension can be found on the Study in the States website.
Change of Status
If you are changing your status from an F-1 to an H-1B, Permanent Resident, etc. please submit this information using the Change of Status E-Form when you have officially begun the new status. For example, if you are on an F-1 and moving to an H-1b starting 10.1, do not submit the change of status request until 10.1.
**If you are no longer a student at UMass and you are on OPT, etc. when you change your status, your NENS access to UMass systems (access to UMass email, UMass VIP, etc.) will be deactivated 30 days after your new change of status begins. Please plan accordingly.
The Department of Homeland Security has indicated that failure to provide any of the reporting requirements mentioned above can result in the automatic termination of your SEVIS immigration record and corresponding F-1 immigration status. The IPO will not take responsibility for a student’s failure to update information accordingly and to adhere to these considerable STEM OPT reporting requirements.