J-2 EAD Application Process

  • $410 application fee. You may pay the fee with a money order, personal check or cashier’s check payable to Department of Homeland Security. 

  • Form I-765 (Application for Employment Authorization): The J-2 applicant should complete this form. We recommend typing the application using the fillable form to avoid errors on your EAD. In item 25, write "J-2 Dependent." In item 27, write "c" inside the first set of parentheses and "5" inside the second set. Leave the third set blank.

  • Form G-1145 (optional). Use this form to request an e-notification from USCIS when your application is received. Paperclip the form to the front of your application.

  • Two passport-style photographs that meet USCIS requirements: Print your name on the back of each photo. Do not cut photos to size; USCIS will cut them to their specifications.

  • J-2 statement: On a separate piece of paper, the J-2 applicant should state that the work permission is not necessary to support the J-1 visa holder but is for other purposes (e.g. cultural, recreational, and travel expenses for the J-2 dependent).

  • J-2 immigration documents: Photocopies of the J-2's current and any previous Forms DS-2019; J-2 entry visa stamp, and passport identity page(s). [If you are applying for an extension of your current EAD, include a copy of your current EAD (front and back) along with the paper slip it was attached to when you received it in the mail].

  • J-2 admission record: Photocopies of most recent admission stamp in the passport and printout of your electronic I-94 admission record OR photocopies of paper Form I-94 (front and back), if applicable.

  • J-1 immigration documents and admission record: Photocopies of the J-1's Form DS-2019; most recent admission stamp in the passport and printout of the electronic I-94 admission record OR photocopies of paper Form I-94 (front and back), if applicable; J-1 entry visa stamp; and passport identity page(s).

MAKE COPIES OF EVERYTHING FOR YOUR OWN RECORDS BEFORE YOU SEND THE APPLICATION. We suggest you mail this application at the post office by "certified mail/return receipt requested" or express mail.

Mail to for U.S. Postal Services Deliveries Mail to for Express Mail Deliveries

PO Box 660867
Dallas, TX 75266

Attn: AOS
2501 S. State Hwy. 121 Business
Suite 400
Lewisville, TX 75067

PLEASE NOTE: If you do NOT live in Massachusetts, you may be required to mail your application to a different address. Click here for more information.

Please remember:

Your work permission will not be in effect until USCIS approves it. Once approved, USCIS will send you an Employment Authorization Document (EAD).Make copies of both sides of the EAD when you receive it, and keep the paper slip it is attached to, as you will need it for any extension applications.

You may check the status of your application online, once you receive a receipt notice from USCIS. If you have a problem with your application, call the National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283 or 1-800-767-1833 (TTY).



Landing Page: