Summer Core Internship Program
Providing STEM Students Hands-On Training in a Real World Lab Setting
The UMass Summer Undergraduate Core Internship Program allows students from Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) hands-on training and experience in the use and operation of state-of-the art research equipment in these core facilities, experience gathering data and data analysis, and the development of team science and soft skills, all while spending their summer in Amherst!
What Makes Us Unique
The Core Internship Program is a paid, undergraduate internship. It will run for ten (10) weeks, and will have three key components:
1. Work Directly in the UMass Core Facilities
Student interns will work ~30 hours weekly, with a flexible schedule based on project needs. They will work hand in hand with Core Facility Directors to support advanced research using state of the art technologies while learning valuable, real-world technical skills that can be applied to industry jobs in STEM.
2. Develop Valuable ‘Soft’ Skills for the Workplace
Weekly ‘soft skills & professional development’ workshop to help develop non-technical skills, including but not limited to:
- Presentation Skills – How to present research projects to industry
- Communication – Emailing in the workplace & professional social media
- Professionalism – How to behave in a workplace environment
- Job search 1.0 – Resumes, cover letters
- Job search 2.0 – Interviewing
3. Core Internship Community
Weekly Core Internship Tea & Sympathy hour will allow interns to come together, share experiences, and socialize. Snacks will be provided!
Any questions should be directed to Hannah Choi, Student Outreach Coordinator, at UMassCoreInterns@umass.edu
Click here to learn more about all of our core facilities.
Summer Core Interns 2019
Investing in the next generation of workforce leaders.