- In person Human subject experiments = Partial: in accordance with UMass VCRE policy.
- Virtual meetings/consultations = by appointment.
- Equipment use: limited availability, contact facility for review/determination.
One of only 26 such facilities worldwide, the UMass Room Calorimeter houses two whole room metabolic chambers.
The two chambers in Room Calorimeter differ in their capabilities. The smaller (92” x 48”) ‘flex’ chamber can be configured in either a low or high flow setting for the assessment of both resting or exercising metabolism.
The large calorimeter (160” x 131”) is configured for long duration stays during which individuals can receive meals or medications through pass through ports. This chamber houses a toilet, sink, bed, desk, TV (w/ Apple TV), Lode Valiant 2 Treadmill, and a two camera observational video system which allows researchers to encode the video with behavior data to gain in-depth understanding of the interactions between behavior and metabolic cost.
The Room Calorimeter core also has access to the kitchen, in the Center for Human Health and Performance, allowing researchers to prepare 'metabolic meals'. The ability to tailor diet during time in the chamber allows researchers to investigate the effects of macro nutrient make-up or energy balance on whole-body energy metabolism.
- Large Calorimeter
- ‘Flex’ Calorimeter
- Dual Configuration – Rest or Exercise
- Data integration ports (USB, RS-232)
- Blood Port – for collection of blood while participants are in the chamber
- Push-to-Talk Communication System
- Rest Configuration
- Exercise Configuration
- High airflow setting
- Velotron Bicycle Ergometer (w/ controller and data capture integration)