IALS Holds First Innovators Showcase
Eleven startups that have emerged from campus research, student ideas and/or the collaboratories were featured during Homecoming 2022 on Friday, Oct. 28, at the UMass Amherst Institute for Applied Life Sciences (IALS) Innovators Showcase: Developing Solutions for Real World Challenges.
The startups range from idea-stage pre-companies to ventures that have raised initial funding and hired their first employees:
- Early Screen – Mobile App to Detecting Psychological Disorders in Preschoolers
- Suvorov – Sperm Epigenome Rejuvination
- ISight – Curing and Preventing Cataracts and Presbyopia Without Surgery
- Organocin – Proprietary Bacteriocin Discovery Platform for Novel Antibacterical Agents
- MacFarlane Medical – Simplified Insulin Delivery
- Elateq – Cleaner, Greener More Cost-Effective Water Treatment
- Optical Waters – Custom Ultraviolet Optical Fiber Solutions to Disinfect Hard to Reach Spaces
- rStream – Convenient, Economical, and Sustainable Waste Management
- RNA4Tx – Novel Manufacturing for Wide Expansion of RNA Therapeutics
- florrent – Next Generation High Engery Density Ultracapacitors
- Ernest Pharaceuticals – Engineered Bacteria to Treat Advanced Cancer
Following the pitches, key elements of the innovation and entrepreneurial from campus and beyond were highlighted, including the College of Natural Sciences, College of Engineering, School of Public Health and Health Sciences, Manning College of Information and Computer Sciences, Elaine Marieb College of Nursing, I-Corps site, Isenberg School of Management, libraries, Berthiaume Center for Entrepreneurship, Technology Transfer Office, UMass Innovation Institute, Office of the President, Maroon Venture Partners Fund, Mass Ventures, Wolf Greenfield, and Feinberg|Hanson.
The event closed with a special thank you to the Manning Family Foundation for its visionary support and an acknowledgement of the six 2022 Manning/IALS Award Winners. The program was followed by a special alumni tour of the centralized UMass Amherst Core Facilities located in the Life Science Laboratories, lunch and networking.