The Institute for Applied Life Sciences (IALS) is a new organization within UMass Amherst that aims to translate fundamental discoveries on campus into novel candidate medical devices, biomolecules, and delivery vehicles that benefit human health. IALS is also advancing UMass’ educational and economic development missions through training researchers skilled in the discovery, development, and manufacture of medical devices and biomolecules and in life science entrepreneurship.
UMass Amherst faculty committed to translational work and multi-disciplinary research with industrial partners and collaborators on campus, at UMass Medical School, and at other institutions are welcome to join IALS.
With affiliation and commitment to IALS comes access to the many benefits that IALS has to offer as a support network to faculty researchers. Some examples of these are:
- IALS and Center-level seed funds for translational research
- Grant writing support for team grants (P, C, U level)
- RTF percentage return for use of Core Facilities
- Industrial collaboration project management support
- Regulatory expertise and support with the office of Compliance
- Mentoring and training in translational approaches and entrepreneurship
- Access to industry collaborations and funding coming from IALS/Industry relationships
Faculty who wish to join IALS will also join one (or more) of the Institute’s three centers. Being part of an IALS center provides access to fellow faculty, resources, collaborations, and potentially industry partnerships more aligned with your research. The three IALS centers are:
- Models to Medicine (M2M)
- Center for Bioactive Delivery (CBD)
- Center for Personalized Health Monitoring (CPHM)
Once you have decided on your center(s), please fill out the IALS Faculty Profile Information Form so that we may create a faculty profile for you on your center’s website. Having your profile online is a tremendous benefit; industry partners have used and continue to use our websites as a way to find academic collaborators.
Completed forms can be sent to Hannah Choi, email@example.com.
Download the IALS Faculty Profile Information Form (a fillable PDF – no need to print).
Students, Staff and Friends of IALS Students, staff, and friends of IALS, as well as faculty who do not wish to become officially affiliated with IALS are welcome to subscribe to the IALS centers’ mailing lists in order to receive updates, events, news, and highlights.
To join a mailing list, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, email address, and center(s) of interest.