The Institute for Applied Life Sciences (IALS) translates fundamental research into innovative product candidates, technologies, and services that deliver benefits to human health and well-being. Our specific objectives are to: (1) Become a catalyst and resource for ‘applied’ and ‘translational’ R&D activities; (2) Establish industry engagement models and industry collaborations; (3) Contribute to workforce development; and (4) Participate to innovation & entrepreneurship culture on campus.
Join our interdisciplinary community of faculty today and be part of a growing community for innovative research!
UMass Amherst faculty committed to translational work and multi-disciplinary research with industrial partners and collaborators on campus, at UMass Medical School, and at other institutions are welcome to join IALS.
- Introductory membership sign-up (opt-in) or automatic induction as IALS co-hired faculty
Faculty may sign up to enjoy IALS benefits for 12 months even if they don't meet the other criteria for active status. To maintain active status beyond the first 12 months, they must fulfill one of the criteria listed below each year.
- Joining and actively participating in any center research themes
Center theme leaders may add introductory IALS members automatically if they are active in their theme-related activities and R&D efforts. Please have your theme leader reach out to us.
- Induction through submitting IALS-tagged proposals, or IALS-tagged active awards
IALS Administration will periodically review new IALS-tagged proposals and active awards. Any PIs tagged grants who are not already members will be invited to join IALS.
Maintaining Active Status
- Lead PI or Co-PI on at least one IALS-tagged proposal (regardless of awarded status) submitted within the last twelve months
PIs who fit this criteria are automatically considered IALS active faculty and are eligible for benefits. Please complete the membership form.
- Lead PI or Co-PI on at least one IALS-tagged active award in the last or current fiscal year
PIs who fit this criteria are also automatically considered IALS active faculty and are eligible for benefits. Please complete the membership form.
Where does the IDC go?
A note on tagged vs. untagged grants:
|Tagged Grants||Untagged Grants|
Tagging a grant IALS does not change the IDC return percentage for PIs, departments, and colleges! PIs do not lose anything by tagging their translational research as IALS, in fact, it helps us continue what we do.
We also return 1.5% of the total spent IDC on each tagged grant back to the PI to use at the Core Facilities. These Core Credit Vouchers are available to all IALS-tagged grant recipients and usable at any of our Core Facilities.
Additionally, the University helps to directly support the Core Facilities by providing 4% of the IDC returned back to IALS.
IALS Faculty Membership Benefits
With affiliation and commitment to IALS comes access to the many benefits that IALS has to offer as a support network to faculty researchers.
IALS Resources Open to All UMass Faculty:
- Access to IALS Venture Development & Startup Resources
- Access to UMass Core Facilities
- Access to Reserve LSL Space (based upon availability)
- IALS-Hosted Events & Seminars
- Subscription to IALS Email Listserv
IALS Faculty Membership Benefits (In Addition to Above Resources) as of 1/1/2023:
- Eligibility for all IALS Seed Funding Programs
- Access to Center-specific Benefits
- Access to M2M Theme Activities/Research Funds
- Center-hosted Events & Seminars
- Access to Core Facilities Benefits
- Core Facilities Training Funds (costs covered for all Core Facilities training)
- Core Facilities Incentive Funds (funding available for project support and small equipment aquisitions)
- Core Facility Credits generated from RTF return on IALS-tagged grants
- Access to IALS Research Themes & Faculty Community
- Priority Access to Reserve LSL Space
Faculty who wish to join IALS will also join one (or more) of the Institute’s three centers. Being part of an IALS center provides access to fellow faculty, resources, collaborations, and potentially industry partnerships more aligned with your research. The three IALS centers are:
- Models to Medicine (M2M)
- Center for Bioactive Delivery (CBD)
- Center for Personalized Health Monitoring (CPHM)
Once you have decided on your center(s), click the 'Join IALS' button so that we may create a faculty profile for you on your center’s website. Having your profile online is a tremendous benefit; industry partners have used and continue to use our websites as a way to find academic collaborators. All members are required to complete a registration form.