Add an instrument to your Core Facility
- Login to the CORUM system with your UMass NetID and password: https://corum.umass.edu/
- Click the Manage Facilities main menu item and select your Core
- Choose Products from the main menu
- Select Instruments from the sidebar menu, then click Add Instrument button
- Complete the new instrument information form as needed
- The "Allow users to request training" will offer unauthorized users the option to request training or equipment access through CORUM. The users request will appear in the Training Request queue on the cores product page. Without this option selected the user will be presented with the equipment's contact email address.
- The "Show reservation details (name, email, etc) on schedule" option will affect the instruments Reservation calendar but not the Daily View timelines.
- Use a shared schedule for alternate pricing/scheduling rules, for example the equipment is used for both training and technician-assisted usage. This might also be useful for instruments which shouldn't be operated concurrently due equipment setup or for social distancing.
- Select the Control Mechanism: Reservation, Timer without Relay, or Timer with Relay. Selecting a Timer-based mechanism will allow you to charge for actual time used or overages. Configuration is done on the instrument Pricing Rules section: select 'Usage' to charge for real time used, 'Reservation' for reserved time only, 'Overage' for reserved time plus additional time. See the Instrument Pricing Options page for examples.
- Relays can be configured to automatically turn off the instrument at the end of the reservation, with an adjustable delay. This will turn off the relay, but does not end timer-based reservations.
- Reservation Lock Window will prevent changes to reservations within N hours from now. This setting will also restrict users from starting reservations early using the reservation "move up" function.
- Cutoff Time (hours) will prevent creation of reservations within N hours from now, but won't place a buffer between adjacent reservations in the future. This setting will also restrict users from starting reservations early using the reservation "move up" function.
- Add Scheduling Groups
Scheduling Groups allow for controlling access to blocks of the reservation calendar: weekdays, evenings, weekends, etc… with an optional applied rate discount.
- Click Add Scheduling Group button
- Enter “Day Time Access”
- Click Create Scheduling Group button
- Repeat the process for “24/7 Access”
- Add Scheduling Rules to your Instrument
You may define one or more non-overlapping schedule rules. Schedule rules define how and when an instrument is available for reservation. Optionally, create Scheduling Groups before adding rules.
- Click the Scheduling menu item from the equipment menu
- Click the Add Schedule Rule button
- Select the effective days as well as choosing start and end times
- Optionally add a percentage-based discount for this schedule block, for example a 25% discount for evening or weekend reservations. Off-peak discounts should be limited to busy instruments that have simple long running usage and that don't require staff assistance.
- Optionally add to a Schedule Group (Day Time Access, 24/7 Access, etc…)
- Add Approved Users to the Access List
Instruments may require a user to be approved before they can purchase time on the instrument. Any users not already in the CORUM system will need to be added by the Facility Administrator or a Global Account Manager. All users must have an approved payment source to place orders and reservations using CORUM. Note: An easier way to grant access to multiple instruments is available from the "Access List" section on the individual User page.
- Click the Access List menu item from the equipment menu
- Click the Add Approved Users button
- Use the Search feature to locate and authorize an existing CORUM user or additionally create a new user using the form https://corum.umass.edu/facilities/all/users/new_external
- Add Pricing Rules
Pricing rules determine the specific rate applied to each price group. All users must be charged the same base rate. You may define adjustments to this rate for individual internal price groups.
- Click the Pricing menu item from the equipment menu
- Click the Add Pricing Rules button
- Enter the Effective and Expiration dates (7/1 - 6/30)
- Select 'Usage' to charge for real time used, 'Reservation' for reserved time only, 'Overage' for reserved time plus additional time. The choice may be limited based on selection of Control Mechanism in the Instrument details section. See the Instrument Pricing Options page for examples.
- Enter hourly rates for each Price Group, as well as any minimum charges
- Add Reservation Window Restrictions to the Price Groups
Price groups may or may not be allowed to purchase this product. Use the form below to restrict or authorize purchasing. The reservation window is the number of days in advance a user in the price group may create a reservation.
- Click the Restrictions menu item from the equipment menu
- Adjust the reservation window for eachPrice Group, default is reservations only allowed 14 days in advance.
- Upload Instrument-related Documents
If provided, documentation will be available for download from the product page.
- Click the Docs menu item from the equipment menu
- Choose a file from you local file system to upload to the CORUM server
Define one or more optional accessories that can be added to the order after completing the reservation of this instrument
Click the Accessories menu item from the equipment menu
Accessories are other facility products: Items, Services, and Timed Services.
For example: Consider adding technician time or consultation time as a Timed Service accessory for equipment which often requires staff assistance. A gold sputtering system could add a gold Timed Service as an accessory with an Auto-Scaled scaling type; charges for gold will scale in proportion with instrument usage. Another option is to create a product Bundle, with instruments and items grouped for purchase together.
- Add Notifications
- Click the Notifications menu item from the equipment menu
- Click the “Edit” button
- Enter comma-separated listed of email addresses for each notification category
- Add EH&S Training Certification Requirements
Define one or more EH&S safety training certifications that are required for use of this product. Note: OWL Certificates are added to the CORUM system using the Research Safety Certificates form found in Global Settings: https://corum.umass.edu/research_safety_certificates
- Click the Certification Requirements menu item from the equipment menu
- Select the required certifications and click Add Certification Requirement. Example certificates are: BIOSAFE, BIOSFTYCAB, BIOSFTYLAB, LABSAFE, LASRCUT
More information on certifications: https://www.umass.edu/ials/corum/questions-answers#certifications
Bundles are collections of products that are ordered as a single purchase by the purchaser. The items and quantities are fixed and cannot be changed by the customer.
- Click on the “Bundles” sidebar menu for your Core
- Complete the Bundle information form
- Select the Instruments, Items, and Services to add to the Bundle
- Optionally upload related Documents
Add Product Groups
Product Groups are used to arrange products on your facilities home page listing.
- Click on the “Product Groups” sidebar menu for your Core
- Click on the “Add Product Group” button
- Name the product group
- Include/Exclude existing products from your Core
Instrument Display Order
Once configured, instrument schedules will be displayed in the desired order on the admin & public Daily View and the Instrument Dashboard.
- Click on the “Instrument Display Order” sidebar menu for your Core
- Click on the “Edit” button
- Select any schedules from the list, and use the Up/Down arrow buttons to re-order the items.
- When done, click the "Update Ordering" button
Training Requests from users will appear in this list until the request has been approved or removed. Click on each users name to view their requests for training (or equipment access) for your core. Depending on the equipment configuration options, you may approve a user for a specific Scheduling Group (ex. daytime or 24/7 access). Users not assigned to any Scheduling Group may be prevented from reserving time on the instrument.
Equipment configured to not allow training requests will present the user requesting acccess with a core staff email address for communication outside of CORUM and will bypass the Training Requests queue.