Analytical Ultracentrifuge Fluorescence Detection System (AU-FDS)
The Analytical Ultracentrifuge Fluorescence Detection System (AU-FDS) accessory for the Beckman XL-A / XL-I instruments compliments the existing detectors.
- High Sensitivity (picomolar sample concentrations)
- Large Dynamic Range (approximately four decades)
- High Selectivity (measures only fluorescing molecules)
- Higher Throughput (both sample and reference channels can be loaded with sample)
The FDS works as an add-on to existing Beckman analytical ultracentrifuges, old or new. The original Beckman instrument operation is not affected. The AU-FDS utilizes confocal optics to track the location of fluorophores. High-speed electronics measure the entire rotor rotation, allowing all samples to be measured simultaneously.
- Higher sensitivity and large dynamic range allow determination of tighter binding constants.
- Very high selectivity due to selection of excitation wavelength (488 nm) allows studies with complex mixtures that traditional detectors cannot handle: heterogeneous binding of proteins with the same molecular weight; serum, cell lysates, et cetera.