Tuition Benefits

Tuition Waiver for Benefited University Faculty and Staff

Please reference the Tuition Waiver/Remission form page for the application process.

Tuition Waiver Benefit

As described below, the University offers tuition discounts at the UMass campuses in the form of Student Tuition Credits to University Employees and retirees, and the Spouses and Dependent Children of University Employees, retirees, and certain deceased University Employees. These Standards are defined in the Trustee tuition discount policy apply to all members of the University community, except where any discount or other benefit contained in a collective bargaining agreement may be more favorable.See, M.G.L. c.150E, § 7(d). 

STUDENT TUITION CREDITS (Continuing Education Courses not included*)

Current/Active University Employees (1)

    Graduate Courses or Programs


    Undergraduate Courses of Programs


Retired University Employees (2)


Spouses and Dependent Children of Current/Active University Employees

    Graduate Courses or Programs


    Undergraduate Courses or Programs

            University Employee w/ 2+ FTE Years of Service


            University Employee w/ < 2 FTE Years of Service


Spouses and Dependent Children of Retired University Employees (3)


Spouses and Dependent Children of Deceased University Employees (4)


 *For continuing education classes taken at UMass, tuition credit is offered at 50% to eligible employees.

(1) Part-time University Employees are eligible for up to seven (7) credits per semester.

(2) One (1) program of study.

(3) One (1) program of study; undergraduate only

(4) With at least five (5) years of FTE University Service; one (1) program of study; undergraduate only

NOTE: A terminated University Employee (or the Spouse or Dependent Child of a Terminated University Employee) may complete a semester or course for which a Student Tuition Credit was previously applied.

Notes - all fees, books and other course materials are the employee's responsibility; the tuition discount does not apply to the M.D. program at UMass Medical School, programs and the J.D. program at UMass Law School at UMass Dartmouth, and courses and programs identified by a campus as Continuing Education except as noted above*.

Tuition Waiver at other State Colleges / Universities

Employees with six (6) months or more of full-time benefited service (or equivalent benefited part-time service), their spouses and dependent children, who are enrolled in a full-time state supported program at any Massachusetts university or community college, are eligible for tuition waivers. If you are enrolled in courses through the Division of Continuing Education, the tuition waiver is 50%.  Please check with the other Massachusetts public college's student financial services or bursar's office for the tuition benefits which might be available.

Forms and Other Information

All forms should be completed and sent to the Human Resources Office for approval. Once approved, you will be able to submit it to the respective campus for proper credit.

Information about the dollar value of a Tuition Remission is available from that institution's Bursar's Office.

Please reference the UMass Bursar's Office website regarding the value of tuition discounts.

How to Apply for a Tuition Credit or Remission

  1. Get the tuition credit and remission form at the Human Resources Employee Service Center.
  2. Complete the form before the semester starts. Then return it to the Employee Service Center.
  3. The HR representative will review your eligibility based on the completed form and will return it to you.
  4. Take the form to the Bursar's Office at the university or college where you are taking the course. (UMass Amherst Bursar)
  5. Register for the class. Ask the registrar at the school where you're taking the course about registration. (UMass Amherst Registrar)

  This information is provided as a general reference; where information that appears here differs from Trustee or University policy, the policy prevails.