The University of Massachusetts is now offering eligible employees* (and their spouse or partner) voluntary Long-Term Care (LTC) Insurance through Mutual of Omaha. Long-Term Care services are provided to people who are unable to care for themselves (eg, require assistance bathing, dressing, eating, etc.).
Eligible employees may enroll for coverage directly with Mutual of Omaha through October 11, 2019. Information about plan designs and premiums:
- Has been e-mailed to eligible employees by email@example.com.
- Will be shared at in-person meetings (dates & times e-mailed to eligible employees on September 19, 2019).
- Will be available via webinar (register to attend online).
- Are available on the Mutual of Omaha website.
Eligible employees can apply for coverage using a shortened application process during open enrollment & may apply at any time thereafter with the application reviewed by Mutual of Omaha and approved or denied based on a full application process.
* employees who are eligible to purchase health insurance through the Massachusetts Group Insurance Commission ("GIC").
Long-Term Disability insurance is different than Long-Term Care insurance:
- GIC Long Term Disability Insurance (LTD) replaces 55% of your income tax free if you are disabled for more than 90 days and are unable to work due to illness or injury.
Optional Retirement Program/ORP members receive LTD benefits as a result of their enrollment in the ORP. The ORP LTD plan replaces 60% of income if you are disabled for more than 180 days and are unable to work due to illness or injury.
LTD benefits can be offset by receipt of income from your Massachusetts retirement plan, income from use of accrued paid time and/or sick leave banks, etc.
- Long-Term Care Insurance reimburses you for some of the cost of you receive in a skilled nursing home, assisted living facility, or home assistance when you can no longer take care of yourself for the acts of daily living, e.g. eating, dressing, bathing, etc.