Employees Hired in a Position with Benefits
Benefited faculty and staff are eligible for health, life and long-term disability insurance coverage through the Massachusetts Group Insurance Commission (GIC). Coverage is effective the first day of the month following 60 days in an eligible position with employees hired on/after July 1, 2003 contributing 25% of the total health and basic life insurance premiums. Employees may change plans during annual open enrollment (the end-of-April/beginning-of-May each year with plan changes effective July 1). Premium and plan information is available in the GIC Benefit Decision Guide. Contact our Employee Service Center with questions. You will also receive information at your new employee orientation about your health insurance options.
My marital status is changing. Will this affect my GIC coverage? Find answers on what to do when changes occur in your life that may affect your GIC coverage.
Employees Hired in a Position with No Health Insurance
The Commonwealth Connector is the Massachusetts health and dental insurance marketplace - established under the federal Affordable Care Act. It provides options for Massachusetts residents to purchase health and dental insurance coverages and apply for federal premium subsidies to reduce the cost of coverage.
New postdoctoral employees must come to the Employee Service Center to complete hiring paperwork. This includes enrollment for health insurance. Employees in positions represented by Postdoctoral Researchers Organizing (PRO/UAW) are eligible for health insurance coverage through the UMass Amherst/PostDoctoral (UMA/PD) plan. Health Insurance for PRO/UAW employees is managed through Human Resources. You may obtain a UMA/PD enrollment form in the hire package for post-doctoral employees. Otherwise, you may obtain a copy and complete it at the Employee Service Center. if you wish to establish health insurance for your spouse and/or dependents you must supply proof of marriage and proof of dependent(s) relationship (birth certificate or proof of adoption). See dental and vision insurance for post-doctoral employees.
Postdoctoral Plan Information and Forms
- Webinar introduction to UMass/PostDoctoral health insurance plan benefits Please note: information provided in this webinar applies to coverage July 1, 2019 - June 30, 2020)
- Health Insurance Plan Payroll Deduction Form
- UMass/PostDoctoral health insurance plan enrollment/change form
- UMass/PostDoctoral health insurance plan Summary of Benefits and Coverage
- UMass/PostDoctoral health insurance plan overview
- Blue Cross/Blue Shield PostDoctoral Health Insurance Plan New Member Welcome Kit
Bi-Weekly Employee Contribution to UMA/PD
Effective July 1, 2018 Postdoctoral employees make the following contributions which are taken from their paychecks bi-weekly on two pay periods per month.
- Employee only: $47.42
- Employee and Child/ren: $85.15 Proof of relationship for each covered child, eg certificate of birth or adoption, is required.
- Employee and Spouse: $118.13 Proof of Marriage is required.
- Employee, Spouse and Child/ren: $203.27 Proof of Marriage and proof of relationship for each covered child, eg certificate of birth or adoption, are required.
Eligible AFSCME Unit B Employees
Employees in positions covered by the University's bargaining agreement with AFSCME Unit B are eligible for coverage under the UMass Amherst/AFSCME Unit B (UMA/Unit B) health insurance plan effective the Sunday following completion of six (6) weeks of work consisting of thirty (30) or more hours per week.
UMA/Unit B Eligible Dependents
An eligible employee may purchase UMA/Unit B health insurance to cover him/herself and his/her spouse and/or dependent children under 26 years of age. Proof of marriage is required to establish coverage for a spouse; a birth certificate or proof of adoption is required to establish coverage for a qualified dependent.
Twice Monthly Employee Contribution to UMA/Unit B Premiums
UMA/Unit B employee premium contributions are payroll-deducted twice monthly. Employee premium contributions are dependent upon the level of coverage selected:
- Employee only: $56.18 ($58.42 effective January 1, 2019)
- Employee and Child/ren: $280.90 ($292.13 effective January 1, 2019) Proof of relationship for each covered child, eg certificate of birth or adoption, is required.
- Employee and Spouse: $337.07 ($350.55 effective January 1, 2019) Proof of Marriage is required.
- Employee, Spouse and Child/ren: $617.97 ($642.69 effective January 1, 2019) Proof of Marriage and proof of relationship for each covered child, eg certificate of birth or adoption, are required.
UMA/Unit B Health Insurance Coverage Information
- UMA/Unit B Enrollment Booklet (English)
- UMA/Unit B Plan Overview (Chinese, English, Spanish, Vietnamese)
- UMA/Unit B Chiropractic benefit (English, Spanish)
Termination of Coverage
UMA/Unit B health insurance coverage ends the sooner of:
- Upon termination of employment with the University of Massachusetts Amherst
- Upon termination of employment in a covered AFSCME Unit B position / loss of eligibility for coverage
- When an enrolled employee provides proof that all UMA/Unit B covered individuals are covered under another ACA-qualifying health insurance plan & submits a completed Enrollment/Add/Termination Form to UMass Amherst Human Resources