Commonwealth Honors College Welcome Meeting
The Commonwealth Honors College Welcome Meeting will be held on your first day of NSO (which will be either a Monday or Thursday) in the Commonwealth Honors College.
At this required Commonwealth Honors College meeting, you will have an opportunity to:
- Learn about the range of advantages available through Commonwealth Honors College.
- Connect with other new Honors College students.
- Meet Commonwealth Honors College Advisors and discover the value of our advising services.
- Sign the Commonwealth Honors College Terms of Agreement contract and Honors requirements.
- Hear about Honors College Residential Community housing and Honors Residential Academic Program (RAP) options.
- Visit a first-year room in the Commonwealth Honors College Residential Community (following the meeting).
Advising and Course Registration
As part of NSO, you will meet with an advisor in your major. In most colleges, there will also be a Commonwealth Honors College Advisor available during this appointment to answer questions and help you register for one or two honors courses. Honors course suggestions are as follows:
- If you’re in an Honors Residential Academic Program (RAP), you only need to take the honors courses listed for that RAP.
- HONORS 201H: Ideas That Changed the World - All first-year Honors College students are required to take this course during their first year.
- ENGLWRIT 112H: All Honors College students are required to take this course in their first year. Please review the Writing Placement Exam information if you believe you might qualify for an exemption from this requirement.
- Any HONORS version of a General Education course: Honors College students can often find a single course that fulfills both a university General Education requirement and a Commonwealth Honors College requirement.
Housing and RAP Choices
- During NSO, you must confirm your housing and Residential Academic Program (RAP) choice.
- Only Honors College students may choose to live in Honors College Residential Community housing.
- If you have decided not to be in a RAP, you will need to confirm your housing preferences online.
Honors Induction Ceremony
The Honors Induction Ceremony celebrates all new Honors College students and their families at the beginning of the fall semester. During the Honors Pinning portion of the ceremony, students exchange commemorative pins, marking their entry into Commonwealth Honors College.