Major & Minor Requirements
The B.A. curriculum in history emphasizes breadth and flexibility. History majors complete at least 12 History Department courses, totaling at least 36 credits, with a minimum GPA of 2.0. These 12 courses must be distributed as follows:
Part I: 12 Courses
A. Two 100-Level Introductory Survey Courses.
Complete one pair:
- History 100 and 101 (Western Thought)
- History 110 or 112 and 111 (World History)
- History 114 and 115 (China)
- History 120 and 121 (Latin America)
- History 130 and 131 (Middle East)
- History 160 and 161 (Africa)
- History 180 and 181 (History of Science)
B. Two Courses at Any Level, from History 100 to History 499.
C. Seven Additional Courses:
- EITHER: Seven upper-level courses numbered 200-499.
- OR: Any six upper-level courses (200-499) plus one 100-level course in African, Asian, Latin American, Middle Eastern or World History (110,111,112,114, 115, 116, 120, 121, 130, 131, 160, 161).
D. One Junior-Year Writing Seminar
This course must be taken at UMass Amherst (History 450). This course is normally completed in the junior year and no later than the first semester of the senior year. If appropriate, this course may count as a pre-1500 course and one of the two required non-western courses (see “E” and “F” below). We do not accept the Junior Year Writing from other departments, even for double majors. For additional information, see the Junior Year Writing Guidelines.
Part II: Area Requirements
Courses used for requirements A, B, C, and D above may also count as fulfilling area requirements E, F and G.
E. One Course on Pre-1500 History
A list of courses that meet this requirement is included in the department's course guide, which is updated each semester. If appropriate, a Junion Year Writing Seminar may satisfy this requirement.
F. Two Courses in the History of Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Middle East or the World (i.e. two non-Western courses).
G. One Integrative Experience Course (primary major only)
For additional information, restrictions and clarifications, please see the History Major Requirements Check List. For the complete, official list of requirements, please see the Undergraduate Program Guide. Questions? Call (413) 545-6757, email email@example.com, or drop by Herter 613 to set up an appointment.
Undergraduate History minors take a minimum of 6 History Department courses, totaling at least 18 credits and distributed among lower and upper-level courses in the following manner:
- No more than two introductory courses (100 level)
- At least four upper-level courses (200 and above)
- Transfer credit toward the minor will be granted for introductory courses only.
- The four upper-level courses must be taken through the University of Massachusetts Amherst History Department or from a history department at one of the Four Colleges:Amherst, Hampshire, Mount Holyoke, or Smith.
- One course may be taken during a study abroad semester with prior approval from the Undergraduate Program Director.
- No history course taken on a pass/fail basis or in which a grade below C- has been earned may count toward the minor.
For the complete, official list of requirements for the History minor, see the Undergraduate Program Guide and the History Minor Checklist. For information about delaring an academic minor, see Declaration of an Academic Minor.