- Major & Minor
- Honors Program
- Online Courses
- Writing Tutor
- Phi Alpha Theta
- UMass History Journal
- Internships & Careers
- History Club
- Study Abroad
- Declaring the Major
- Public History
More Job & Internship Resources
If you are an undergraduate and unsure about what you want to do with your history degree, or just want to talk to someone about internship and career possibilities, there are a number of resources available to you on campus. Contact the History Department’s Undergraduate Internship and Career Advisor (Herter Hall 622 or email firstname.lastname@example.org). You can also speak with your academic advisor, or an advisor in the UMass Career Services Office.
Connecting with UMass History Alumni
UMass History Alumni want to help you explore careers for history majors. Set up a phone consultation through the UMass Amherst Alumni Association Alumni Advisor Network. For a list of UMass history alumni who are participating in the network, contact your Internship & Career Advisor.
For History Majors Interested in Law
If you are interested in a career in law, you may decide to go to law school. The UMass Amherst Pre-Law Advising Office offers guidance and information about the law school application process to undergraduates. For advice specific to history students, please talk to Prof. Jennifer Nye in Herter 609, email@example.com.
For History Majors Interested in Education
Many history majors pursue a career in elementary or secondary education. If you are interested in becoming a teacher, the UMass School of Education’s Educator Information Office can provide you with the information and advice necessary to get started. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to set up an advising appointment.
Articles about Careers for History Majors
- What to do with a BA in History? (American Historical Association Blog)
- Entering the Job Market with a BA in History (AHA)
- How a History Major Gives You The Intangible Edge (AHA)
- Careers for Students of History (AHA)
- Jobs & Professional Development (AHA)
- Besides Teaching, What can You do with a History Degree?
Job and Internship Websites
- UMass Career Services Career Connect
- National Council on Public History Job Board
- New England Museum Association Job/Internship Board
- The Student Conservation Association
- The National Archives
- Internships at The Smithsonian
- Federal Jobs and Internships
- Non-Profit Sector Internships
- The Intern Queen
- American Association for State and Local History Job Board