The Graduate Certificate in Higher Education Leadership is a 15-credit academic program focused on the study of leadership, management and organization in higher education with a focus on the intersection of theory and practice. The Higher Education Leadership Graduate Certificate is aimed at the many current and future leaders in higher education who would benefit from leadership training, but who do not need an advanced degree. This program is ideal for those who already have a terminal degree, or do not need another degree.
The program is fully online making it convenient for busy professionals from a wide geographic area. It can be completed in one year by taking two classes in each of the fall and spring semesters, and the final course in the summer. Alternatively courses can be spread out over more semesters. For more information about the Higher Education Leadership Graduate Certificate contact Kate Hudson, Program Coordinator, email@example.com.
Who Should Consider the Higher Education Leadership Graduate Certificate?
- Higher education professional currently working in a management position or who wants to gain leadership and management skills that will allow you to move in to a more responsible position;
- Current doctoral student in any field considering a career in higher education administration upon completion of your degree;
- Faculty member or administrator who wishes to enhance your knowledge and skills in order to provide better leadership for your campus.
The Higher Education Leadership Graduate Certificate is most suitable for those who already have several years of experience working in higher education. If you are a recent graduate, our master’s program in higher education may be a more appropriate choice.
Courses Included in the Higher Education Leadership Graduate Certificate
- EDUC 601a – Foundations of Higher Education
- EDUC 690a – Community College Foundations
- EDUC 674 – Leading Higher Education
- EDUC 621 – Managing Higher Education
- EDUC 723 – Organizing Higher Education
- Elective – Courses currently include EDUC 689 Academic Profession, EDUC 642 Principles & Practices of Student Affairs, EDUC 692R Introduction to College Teaching, EDUC 748 Community Colleges in America (current issues). We will be rotating new courses regularly. You may also want to consider completing a practicum course as your elective (see Higher Education Leadership Graduate Certificate Student Handbook for additional information.)
Coming soon! Starting this fall, we will be offering a community colleges track option for students looking to do a more focused study of community college leadership and administration. Students interested in this option can take EDUC 690a Community College Foundations as their required foundations course and EDUC 748 Community Colleges in America as their elective. For more information about the community colleges track, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information on program requirements, see Higher Education Leadership Graduate Certificate Student Handbook.
Program Tuition and Fees
The Higher Education Leadership Graduate Certificate is administered through Continuing & Professional Education (C&PE). For more information on C&PE tuition and fees, see http://www.umassulearn.net/financial-info/fees-expenses
- Tuition is currently at $460/credit.
- Tuition for each 3-credit course is $1,380 plus applicable fees.
- Total tuition for the 5-course program is $6,900 (Figures applicable as of April 2017).
- There is also a $47/semester registration fee.
Tuition waivers for eligible Massachusetts state employees for Continuing & Professional Education courses offer a 50% discount on the course tuition. For more information on tuition waivers, see http://www.umassulearn.net/financial-info/financial-aid
Financial aid is unfortunately not available for certificate programs.
Admission to the Higher Education Leadership Graduate Certificate Program
- Admission to the program is on a rolling basis.
- You must hold a must hold a baccalaureate degree, and we expect that many applicants will have master’s or doctoral degrees as well.
- You may take up to two courses before you officially apply to the program.
- Materials required for consideration include: admissions form, personal statement, resume, transcripts from undergraduate and graduate institutions attended, and two letters of reference.
Submit your materials to:
Program Coordinator, Higher Education Leadership Graduate Certificate
813 N. Pleasant St.
University of Massachusetts
Amherst, Massachusetts, 01003
Transfer of Credits
If, after you complete the requirements for the Higher Education Leadership Graduate Certificate, you apply to and enroll in either our master’s or doctoral programs, you will be able to apply all 15 credits to that program. Specific details are available through the Program Coordinator.