Traffic, Parking & Shuttle Buses
HFA Senior Recognition and Undergraduate Commencement
Parking suggestions and tips for travel from the Recreation Center to McGuirk Stadium
Includes information helpful to those with limited mobility
Traffic on and near the UMass Amherst campus on Friday, May 10, 2019 will be congested.
In addition to the HFA Senior Recognition Ceremony in the Recreation Center, the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences will hold its ceremony during the same time period in the Mullins Center.
If you will bring a guest with limited mobility, be sure to request a Reserved Accessible Parking Form by FRIDAY, APRIL 19, 2019.
- 12:00 noon
- University employees not working at commencement are dismissed
- 12:30 – 1:00 p.m.
- UMass Police Department begins traffic control measures
- 1:30 – 3:00 p.m.
- HFA Senior Recognition Ceremony, Recreation Center
- 2:00 – 8:00 p.m.
- Shuttle buses run
- 4:30 – 6:00 p.m.
- Undergraduate Commencement, McGuirk Stadium
For vehicles carrying guests who are able to walk or ride a bus:
- Family and friends of our graduates are encouraged to wear comfortable shoes.
- Vehicles should be parked soon after arriving on campus.
- Recommended parking lots:
- Lot 33 – Along University Drive across from the Southwest Residential Are
- Lot 42 – At the corner of Commonwealth and Massachusetts Avenues, entrance on Commonwealth Ave.
- Lot 32 – At the corner of Lincoln and Massachusetts Avenues, entrance on Lincoln Ave.
- These lots may be full or your arrival on campus may occur after traffic control measures are in place. Be aware that you may be directed to a parking.
- Recommended parking lots:
- After the HFA ceremony, walk or take a bus to McGuirk Stadium.
- The bus stop is located across Commonwealth Avenue from the Recreation Center at the south eastern corner of the Mullins Center (close to the athletic fields).
- Be sure to cross Commonwealth Avenue at a designated crosswalk and when the officer on duty directs you to do so.
For vehicles carrying passengers who have limited mobility:
- Review the university's information about available accommodations.
If you have not yet done so, request a Reserved Accessible Parking Form. Requests for this form must be submitted no later than Friday, April 19th.
- Drivers may drop guests off at the back of the Recreation Center at the entrance marked E, before parking in one of the areas marked "64."
- All #64 lots – Accessed via Hicks Way off Commonwealth Ave. are designated for vehicles carrying individuals with a disability or limited mobility. These lots are noted by lime-highlighted numbers in a hot pink box.
- After the ceremony, those in the party who can walk or take a bus to the stadium may choose to do so.
- Drivers should collect others in their party and make their way to the lot designated for accessible parking near the stadium.
- If you did not secure a reserved space in the accessible lot by the April 19th deadline, the amount of traffic will make it extremely difficult to drop off the individual and then locate a parking space.
- Accessible shuttle buses will be running in advance of the commencement ceremony and will pick up passengers at the designated stops. The one nearest to the Recreation Center is located across the street alongside the Mullins Center.