Mid-Career Research Award
Applications will be accepted until: 12:00 noon on the first Tuesday in February (February 7, 2023) for awards taken the following academic year
The HFA Mid-Career Research Award was developed to help faculty members progress toward their promotion to Full Professor. Award recipients will be provided with one semester's release from teaching responsibilities, department obligations, and college service. The award may be scheduled in conjunction with an approved sabbatical leave, thereby yielding a full year's leave.
- Faculty members must have held the rank of Associate Professor at UMass Amherst for a minimum of five years at the time of application.
- Applicants should be working on a scholarly or creative project likely to contribute to their promotion to Full Professor within three years.
- Applicants are required to have the support of their department.
- Preference will be given to faculty members whose non-teaching responsibilities have exceeded the norm.
- There is one application cycle each year from which up to three recipients may be selected.
- The application deadline will be 12:00 noon on the first Tuesday in February for awards in the following academic year, i.e. Tuesay, February 7, 2023 is the submission deadline for AY 2023 Mid-Career Research Awards.
- The application requires a letter of support from the department chair.
- Departments will normally absorb the course releases or cover the cost of replacement faculty. Course replacements may be available. Approval of such is contingent on a compelling rationale and the availability of funding. Chairs must indicate their intention to request such funds from the dean in their letter of support for the candidate.
- Complete the online application. Advance preparation of responses to some items is recommended (preview the application).
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
For more information
Contact Senior Associate Dean Joye Bowman.