- Dean's Office
- Community Engagement
- Senior Recognition Celebration
- Peer-to-Peer Teaching Review
- Budget Planning
HFA Mid-Career Research Award
Application due date: 12:00 noon on Tuesday, October 15, 2019 for Spring 2020 awards
Annually thereafter, on the second Tuesday in February for awards in the following academic year
The Mid-Career Research Award was developed to assist faculty members in their progress toward promotion to Full Professor. Award recipients will be provided with one semester's release from teaching responsibilities, department obligations, and college service. The award may be scheduled in conjunction with an approved sabbatical leave, thereby yielding a full year's leave.
- Faculty members must have held the rank of Associate Professor at UMass Amherst for a minimum of five years at the time of application.
- Applicants should be working on a scholarly or creative project likely to contribute to their promotion to Full Professor within three years.
- Applicants are required to have the support of their department.
- Preference will be given to faculty members whose non-teaching responsibilities have exceeded the norm and may have slowed progress on the scholarly or creative work needed to be considered for promotion to Full Professor.
- There is one application cycle each year from which up to three recipients may be selected.
- The application deadline for the pilot program (Spring 2020) is 12:00 noon on October 15, 2019, with the results to be announced in early November.
- Thereafter, the application deadline will be 12:00 noon on the second Tuesday of February for awards in the following academic year, i.e. Tuesday, February 11, 2020 is the submission deadline for AY 2021 Mid-Career Research Awards.
- The application requires a letter of support from the department chair. Note that departments will normally absorb the course releases or cover the cost of replacement faculty. A limited number of course replacements may be available, contingent on the Department's rationale and the availability of funding; chairs should indicate as part of the application whether or not they intend to request funds from the dean.
- Complete the online application. Advance preparation of responses to some items is recommended (preview the application).
- Applications remaining incomplete at the deadline will not be considered.
For more information