- Article I (Name)
The name of the organization will be "Rumi Club".
Article II (Purpose) Top
The purpose of the Rumi Club is to create a platform where people from different cultures, religions and traditions can come together and develop an understanding of each other by emphasizing similarities and common values such as love, compassion, high morals and virtues based on Rumi’s teachings.
Article III (Membership) Top
1) Members can be students, faculty, and staff of the University of Massachusetts at Amherst, Amherst College , Hampshire College , Mount Holyoke College , Smith College , and residents of Five College area. The majority of the club members must be UMass graduate students, of which there must be ten.
2) Members of Rumi Club will be accepted without discrimination on the basis of religion, race, sex, age, nation of origin and disability.
3) Members are classified as active and associate.
4) A member is deemed active after continuous significant participation (including attendance to events at least once a semester). All other members are considered as associate members.
5) The membership meets at least once in a semester.
Article IV (Officers) Top
1) The Rumi Club has a president, vice president, treasurer and secretary among graduate students of University of Massachusetts, Amherst, forming the board. When needed, additional officers can be appointed or elected from active members.
2) The active membership elects a specified number of members to be officers without assigning positions. The officers will then determine and distribute positions among themselves. The board may decide to change assignment of position.
3) Officers can resign with permission of the board.
4) The active membership must be kept updated of all assignments of officers.
Article V (Election) Top
1) The officers will be elected by a majority vote of active members with secret ballot system.
2) The term of office for all elected officers is one year, beginning September 1 and proceeding until the following August 31.
3) Election will be held during spring semester. If the election cannot be completed in the spring semester, it will be suspended and completed in beginning of the fall semester.
4) After the election, new officers will serve in an officer-elect position; working with current officer-holders until the end of the current office-holder’s term.
5) Acting officers can appoint or hold an election to fill vacant positions, if any, from their active members.
Article VI (Amendment) Top
1) The constitution can be changed by a two-thirds vote of the membership upon recommendation of the board or the constitutional committee, or by unanimous vote of the Executive Board at a meeting called for the purpose.
2) The recommendation must specify the text to be added, deleted or changed and the vote must be whether the recommendation should be adopted or not.
Article VII. ( Committees) Top
1) Committees may be created as necessary, at the direction of the Executive Board. Appointments to the Committees shall be made by the President, subject to the approval of the Executive Board.