TO: Michael D. D'Amore, Chair, GEO Grievance Committee
FROM: Julian M. Olf, Graduate Program Director
SUBJECT: "Hiring Procedures" pursuant to Article 22 Section 3 of the GEO Collective Bargaining Agreement
In response to your request for information, please be informed of the following:
• All graduate students admitted into our program are offered a full teaching
assistantship*. In the past, funding levels were set by the College; more recently,
incoming students receive the minimum full FTE stipend negotiated by the bargaining
• Students are notified of T.A. funding at the time that they are accepted into the
• T.A.s are assigned to courses by the faculty member responsible for that program area:
Hence, a T.A. responsible for teaching in the scenic area will be assigned by our
resident scenic designer, etc. Practically speaking, all of our T.A.s receive teaching
assignments in their areas.
• Because all T.A.s are eligible for funding, there are no particular procedures for them
to follow in making application for same.
• The Department posts all jobs received from outside areas. Internally, non-teaching
assignments (say, in educational services, box office, etc.) are distributed by the staff
person in charge, usually on a rotating basis--except in areas where the demand for
teaching is so great as to render those T.A.s already fully engaged.
If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to inquire.
*It should be noted for the record that not all incoming students accept the offer. Some
neither want nor need full assistantships.