OPD helps graduate students and postdocs plan and prepare for careers beyond UMass Amherst—and it’s never too early to start! We organize numerous events and activities to help you assess your values, skills, and interests; explore career paths; build professional networks; and navigate the job application process. Our OPD alums enjoy rewarding, impactful careers in academic, industry, government and non-profit organizations.
Negotiating a Job Offer
Oct 27, 2020 | 1:00pm - 2:30pm | Online with OPD!
Are you hearing that you should negotiate your job offer, but feeling unsure about how to do this? If you are considering jobs outside academia or non-faculty positions inside academia, join this session to learn concrete strategies to negotiate with confidence.
Faculty Interviews: Prepare and Practice
Oct 28, 2020 | 2:30pm - 4:15pm | Online with OPD!
Are you hoping to interview for a faculty job this year? Often phone or video interviews are scheduled with little notice, so it’s good to be prepared! This workshop will be in two parts: In part 1 (2:30-3:15pm), you will learn about the common questions and discuss strategies for a successful Zoom interview. In part 2 (3:15-4:15pm): you can practice and get feedback on your responses to the most common questions! Plan to come for part 1 and we hope you can stay for part 2!
Nov 10, 2020 | 1:00pm - 2:30pm | Online with OPD!
Preparing for a job or internship search? This session will talk about the differences between a CV and a resume, help you understand how employers screen resumes, and provide tips for making yours stand out.
Nov 24, 2020 | 10:00pm - 11:30pm | Online with OPD!
Many people already find interviewing stressful and the “new normal” of navigating virtual job interviews during the coronavirus pandemic only compounds things. This session offers a framework that can help you reduce anxiety and boost confidence. If you are considering jobs outside academia or non-faculty positions inside academia, this session is for you.
Your advanced degree opens the door to many career possibilities. New resources emerge daily to help graduate students and post doctoral students navigate this discovery process. Here are a few of our go-to resources.
- An Individual Development Plan (IDP) combines personal assessment, career exploration, and skill building within a framework of goal-setting and accountability. Sample models include myIDP (designed for scientists) and ImaginePhD (designed for the humanities and social sciences).
- ChronicleVitae and InsideHigher Ed provide valuable career advice and access to job boards for careers in higher education.
- Still exploring? Read personal stories, research job families and learn “what people do” across a variety of occupations on From PhD to Life and ImaginePhD.
- Check with your UMass school/college Career Development office for additional on-line resources. For example, the College of Engineering Graduate Career Handbook offers general advice about resumes, cover letters, interview strategies and LinkedIn profiles that is relevant across many disciplines.
- Graduate students and postdocs may access the Handshake career platform managed by UMass Career Services. Create a profile today to access actual jobs, internships, and fellowships and to register for career-related events sponsored by each College’s Career Center. For students, access is automatic using NetID. Postdocs may request an account by emailing the appropriate college-based UMass Career Center.