OPD helps graduate students and postdocs plan and prepare for careers beyond UMass Amherst—and it’s never too early to start! We organize numerous events and activities to help you assess your values, skills, and interests; explore career paths; build professional networks; and navigate the job application process. Our OPD alums enjoy rewarding, impactful careers in academic, industry, government and non-profit organizations.
Apr 3, 2020 | 10:30am - 12:00pm | Online with OPD!
Many people already find interviewing stressful and the “new normal” of navigating virtual job interviews during coronavirus only compounds things. This session offers a framework that can help you reduce anxiety and boost confidence. If you are considering jobs outside academia or non-faculty positions inside academia, this session is for you.
Informational Interviews: "How To" for this Important Career Exploration Tool
Apr 7, 2020 | 11:30am - 12:30pm | Online with OPD!
Have you heard that you should be doing information interviews in order to explore your career options or to become a better job applicant? Not sure how to go about this? This interactive workshop will feature a live demo of an informational interview and you will learn how to reach out to a potential contact, what questions to ask, and how to use the information for your job search.
Yes, Scholars are Using Linkedin and You Should Too!
Apr 8, 2020 | 1:25pm - 2:15pm | Online with OPD!
Are you missing out on jobs and internships? Searching in the right place is important, so is letting companies find you! Come learn how to use Linkedin and Handshake to find opportunities and set up a profile that will establish your reputation online.
Apr 15, 2020 | 2:30pm - 4:00pm | Online with OPD!
Preparing for a job or internship search? This session will talk about the differences between a CV and a resume, help you understand how employers screen resumes, and provide tips for making yours stand out.
Your advanced degree opens the door to many career possibilities. New resources emerge daily to help graduate students and post doctoral students navigate this discovery process. Here are a few of our go-to resources.
- An Individual Development Plan (IDP) combines personal assessment, career exploration, and skill building within a framework of goal-setting and accountability. Sample models include myIDP (designed for scientists) and ImaginePhD (designed for the humanities and social sciences).
- ChronicleVitae and InsideHigher Ed provide valuable career advice and access to job boards for careers in higher education.
- Still exploring? Read personal stories, research job families and learn “what people do” across a variety of occupations on From PhD to Life and ImaginePhD.
- Check with your UMass school/college Career Development office for additional on-line resources. For example, the College of Engineering Graduate Career Handbook offers general advice about resumes, cover letters, interview strategies and LinkedIn profiles that is relevant across many disciplines.
- Graduate students and postdocs may access the Handshake career platform managed by UMass Career Services. Create a profile today to access actual jobs, internships, and fellowships and to register for career-related events sponsored by each College’s Career Center. For students, access is automatic using NetID. Postdocs may request an account by emailing the appropriate college-based UMass Career Center.