The Department of Plant, Soil and Insect Sciences (PSIS) Appoints/Reappoints Graduate Students on the Following Types of Appointments:
For graduate students appointed/reappointed as Teaching Assistants (TA).
• Unfunded graduate students requesting appointment as Teaching Assistants in the Department of Plant, Soil, and Insects Sciences (PSIS) directly contact the Department Head regarding availability of funding. All graduate students are eligible for appointments as a TA.
• After reviewing availability of funding and the number of students requesting funding, the Department Head evaluates each request based on individual student performance in course work, lab work and the recommendation of their Major Professor, past experience, and a good working relationship between TA and Instructor of the course. Responsibilities of TAs in PSIS vary from course to course, but may include grading, proctoring, oversight of laboratory components, and lecturing.
• Recipients of Teaching Assistantship awards are notified in writing. Students are asked to provide a copy of their course schedule to facilitate TA assignments. All students are encouraged to express their concerns and/or preferences regarding assignments.
• Pursuant to the guidelines of the graduate college all International students must pass the test of Spoken English Communication Skills. The screening test of spoken English communication skills is typically given at the beginning of the Fall and Spring semesters. Students should consult the Graduate Program Director (GPD) to arrange to take this test. For further information, consult the Graduate School web page (http://www.umass.edu/gradschool/faculty_faq_international_students.htm)
• All TA appointments are subject to satisfactory academic performance.
For graduate students appointed/reappointed as Research Assistants (RA).
• Research assistantships are offered by individual faculty where funding permits. Terms of the assistantship (including responsibilities and pay scales) are in keeping with College and University guidelines.
• Continued appointment as RA are contingent upon satisfactory academic performance AND availability of funds which are typically from extramural sources based on competitive granting procedures.