CoJourn for UMass Graduate Students and Postdocs
CoJourn: A peer-to-peer program to support well-being
January 2022 – April 2022
CoJourn starts January 10th!
- Have you been putting off a personal project or goal?
- Do you want to start, change, or improve something in your life, but aren’t sure where to begin?
- Are you worried that focusing on your well-being in the winter will be even that much harder?
- Do you wish you had someone to encourage you and help you stay focused on your intentions?
Prioritizing your well-being doesn’t have to be a challenge. And you don’t need to do it alone.
These challenging times are calling for all of us to adapt to new ways of living our usual lives. Setting up additional structures of support and opportunities to create social connection can be an important step in boosting well-being, staying engaged, and enabling us to meet the challenges before us.
We all can use more follow-through, accountability, and connection in our lives. That’s where CoJourn for UMass Graduate Students & Postdocs can make that difference for you. CoJourn helps you finally prioritize what matters most to you, while connecting with a partner for mutual support and accountability.
WHAT IS IT?
CoJourn is a personal growth and goal achievement program that trains pairs of people to partner up for more external accountability, connection, and support as they go after their big goals and dreams. The program helps you finally prioritize what matters most to you, while connecting with a partner you choose for mutual support and accountability. The CoJourn model was developed by UMass Amherst alumna Dr. Molly Keehn along with Karl Henricksen.
The CoJourn process:
- Receive program guidance and support from CoJourn to get the most from your journey
- Choose a partner (or we’ll help you find one). It’s great if you pick a UMass partner but you don’t have to. You can pick any partner you like! If you don't have someone in mind, you can sign up to be matched with a partner.
- Set an intention related to an area of your life that you want to work on for a sustained period of time (3 months)
- Check in with one another 30 minutes each week for approximately 3 months (by phone, online, or in person) to share updates on your goals and to offer compassionate, non-judgmental support along the way
- Set small, manageable, and achievable goals for the upcoming week that help you to move toward your intention.
Examples of past participants' intentions:
- Finish that project that I keep putting off
- Make more time for joy and fun
- Prioritize my own needs
- Stay socially connected amid the pandemic
- Learn strategies to manage my anxiety better
- Feel strong and healthy in my body
- Get more organized
Video: What is CoJourn?
CoJourn benefits include:
- Sustained focus and follow through on something you want in your life
- Weekly, protected time to slow down and reflect on what's important to you
- A closer connection with another person who knows about your life
- The gift of learning from the struggles and successes of your partner
- The opportunity to celebrate small successes together
- The registration period has ended (registration deadline was December 29th)
- If you request to be matched with a partner, you'll get your partner match on January 6th
- The CoJourn for UMass Graduate Students and Postdocs program will run from January 10th through April 3rd
If you have questions about CoJourn for UMass Graduate Students and Postdocs, email GradCoJourn@umass.edu.