The University of Massachusetts Amherst
Skip to main content

Non-Degree Students

Students who have a bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year institution may take University courses on a non-degree, space-available basis by submitting a Non-Degree Application (PDF)

Students interested in online and off-site courses should contact Continuing and Professional Education for registration procedures.

Registration for On-Campus University Courses

This information pertains only to Non-degree students in on-campus University courses.

  • All registration is conducted through the University's SPIRE student information system.
  • Registration begins one week before classes start. Please consult the Academic Calendar for the most up-to-date information.
  • If you do not enroll by the add/drop deadline, your student record will be withdrawn; there is no late registration.

New students:

All first semester students receive an email from UMass Amherst Information Technology (IT) with a Net ID and password. Students who have not received a NetID in time to register by the deadline should contact the IT Help Desk at (413) 545-9400 for assistance. All students must activate and regularly check their UMass email account as most correspondence from the University is sent by email.

Registration Errors:

"Requisites Not Met" is the most common SPIRE error message for non-degree students. This message means that the course is limited to degree students or majors only, or it has prerequisites assigned or other limitations. You may contact the department in which the course is offered to inquire about the possibility of a course override.

If there is a Hold on your record when you try to register, check your Student Center on Spire to determine which office to contact to remove the hold prior to attempting to register. All holds must be removed in time to register prior to the deadline.

SPIRE problems:

If you encounter any problems with SPIRE, the Graduate Student Service Center and the Office of Information Technologies will work together to determine the problem and resolve it. In general, the Graduate Student Service Center handles registration problems or problems with your student record (e.g. no enrollment appointment, how to register for an audit, etc) . The Office of Information Technologies is usually the appropriate office to contact for technical problems (access to SPIRE, logon problems, email accounts, etc). All registration problems must be resolved in time to register prior to the deadline.

Course Offerings:

Use SPIRE "Search Classes/Catalog" to access course information.

Applying Courses Toward a Degree:

Course credits earned as a non-degree graduate student do not accumulate toward a graduate degree at this University.  However, if you are later admitted to a graduate degree program, a maximum of six (6) graduate credits earned as a non-degree student may be applied to that program.  This requires a favorable recommendation by the appropriate Graduate Program Director and approval by the Dean of the Graduate School.

Identification Card:

Non-degree students are eligible for a UMass identification card, called the UCard, that is also used as your library card. The UCard Office is located at 168 Whitmore Administration Building. Their telephone number is (413) 545-0197. Their office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 5:00 pm.

Parking Information:

You may want to visit the Parking Services website as there are a variety of parking options at UMass. Parking Services is located at 51 Forestry Way, just north of the Mullins Center. Their telephone number is (413) 545-0065. Their office hours are Monday through Friday, 7:45 am to 4:45 pm.

Student Billing:

An online system called QuikPAY is available for students to view and print their bills and make payments online. To access QuikPAY log on to your SPIRE account and navigate to Student Center > Finances > View/Pay Bill. For further information or questions please contact the Bursar's Office

You May be Eligible to Claim an Education Tax Credit:

UMass must request your correct social security number or tax identification number.  The law requires that you furnish us with this information so that it may be included on an information return (1098-T) that we file with the IRS and give to you.