David Julian McClements is a Distinguished Professor at the Department of Food Science at the University of Massachusetts. He specializes in the areas of food biopolymers and colloids, and in particular on the development of food-based structured delivery systems for bioactive components. McClements received his Ph.D. in Food Science (1989) at the University of Leeds (United Kingdom) in ultrasonic spectrometry. He then did Post-Doctoral Research at the University of Leeds, University of California (Davis) and University College Cork (Ireland). McClements is the sole author of "Future Foods: How Modern Science is Changing the Way We Eat" (2019), three editions of “Food Emulsions: Principles, Practice and Techniques” (1999, 2005, 2015) and of “Nanoparticle- and Microparticle-based Delivery Systems: Encapsulation, Protection and Release of Active Components” (2014), co-author of “Advances in Food Colloids” (1996) with Prof. Eric Dickinson, and co-editor of “Developments in Acoustics and Ultrasonics”, "Understanding and Controlling the Microstructure of Complex Foods”, “Designing Functional Foods”, “Oxidation in Foods and Beverages (Volumes 1 and 2)” and “Encapsulation and Delivery Systems for Food Ingredients and Nutraceuticals”. In addition, he has published over 1200 scientific articles in peer-reviewed journals (H-index of 162 on Google Scholar), 12 patents, as well as numerous book chapters and conference proceedings. Prof. McClements has previously received awards from the American Chemical Society, American Oil Chemists Society, Society of Chemical Industry (UK), Institute of Food Technologists, and University of Massachusetts in recognition of his scientific achievements. Dr. McClements is a fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry, American Chemical Society (Agricultural and Food Division), and Institute of Food Technologists. His research has been funded by grants from the United States Department of Agriculture, National Science Foundation, US Department of Commerce, NASA, and the food industry. He has secured funding worth over $11.5 million as a PI or co-PI while working at UMASS. He is the co-editor of Annual Reviews in Food Science and Technology, and a member of the editorial boards of a number of other journals. He has organized numerous workshops, symposia, and international conferences in the field of food colloids, emulsions, and delivery systems.
- 2016-Present: Distinguished Professor, Department of Food Science, University of Massachusetts, Amherst
- 2019-Present: Adjunct Professor, School of Food Science and Bioengineering, Zhejiang Gongshang University, Hangzhou, Zhejiang, China.
- 2016-Present: Visiting Professor, Center for Nanotechnology and Nanotoxicology, T.H. Chan School of Public Health, Harvard University, Boston,
- 2014 to 2016: Adjunct Professor, Department of Biochemistry, King Abdulaziz University, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
- 2005 to 2016: Professor, Department of Food Science, University of Massachusetts, Amherst
- 2000 to 2005: Associate Professor, Department of Food Science, University of Massachusetts, Amherst
- 1994 to 2000: Assistant Professor, Department of Food Science, University of Massachusetts, Amherst
- 1994 to 1994: Senior Research Fellow, Department of Food Chemistry, University College Cork, Ireland
- 1992 to 1994: Senior Research Fellow, Department of Food Science and Technology, University of California, Davis
- 1989 to 1992: Research Fellow/Senior Research Fellow, Department of Food Science, University of Leeds, UK