Five College registration dates are different, and likely earlier, than your UMass enrollment appointment.
You MUST adhere to the UMass Amherst Five College dates listed on the Five College Online Academic Calendar.
There are two registration periods each semester.
- Course Request Period (Pre-registration) - is in November for Spring courses and in April for Fall courses.
- Add/Drop - during the first two weeks of the semester.
Step by Step Registration
- Identify course(s) from Five College Course Catalog. NOTE: No more than 8 credits can be taken at any one of the other four institutions per semester.
- Locate the Five College Enrollment Request Form on your SPIRE account. Log on to SPIRE and under "Enrollment" follow the link for Five-College Enrollment Request.
- Read the two pages of instructions and enter the course information onto the form.
- Log into Spire
- On the top bar, click on the MAIN menu.
- Scroll down until you see ENROLLMENT, click on that.
- Scroll down until you see FIVE COLLEGE ENROLLMENT, click on that.
- The Five College Registration page appears.
- Fill in all the information about the course.
- Click Submit
- Save the Registration Receipt as a PDF.
- Email the PDF Registration Receipt to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Five College Interchange office will process the Registration Receipt. A confirmation email will be sent to the student to confirm the Registration Receipt was received.
- Students can check the status of the Registration on the Spire page that they printed the receipt. The process can take a few weeks up to a month to be completed.
By sumbitting your Five College Registration Receipt, YOU AGREE to abide by all academic and student conduct regulations at the host school, including attendance, academic honesty, pass-fail procedures, and deadlines for completing course work and taking examinations.
Registration dates are strict, so be sure to know when they occur.
- Second semester freshman (or beyond) AND in good academic standing AND
- Registered in at least one 3-credit UMass course
- NOTE: Special Students, Continuing & Professional Education and Dual Enrollment Students are not eligible.
Course Request Period (Pre-Registration)
- Requesting a class during this time period does not guarantee enrollment.
- Pre-registration, if approved by the host college, can take up to a month to appear on your SPIRE schedule.
- You must leave leave space for the course credits on your schedule. If the addition of the course would put you over your credit limit, it will NOT be added.
- Other schools do not allow late registration, even if you have been attending the class from the beginning of the semester.
- If you believe there is an administrative error, contact the Five-College Interchange Office immediately.
Dropping a Five College Course
- Use the same procedures you use to drop a UMass course.
- During your Spire enrollment period, you must drop the course on Spire.
- After registration ends, you must contact the Registrar's Office to drop a class.
- Remember that you may withdraw (W) from a course until the mid-semester date.
- After the mid-semester date, you must contact your Academic Dean to petition for a late drop.
- Most Five College classes carry 4 credits.
- Exceptions include but may not be limited to: P.E., Outdoors Program, Dance, Music, and language courses.
- P.E. courses with no academic component or certificate generally receive 1 credit from UMass.
- Check with Five College Interchange staff in Undergraduate Student Success to discuss the number of credits UMass gives variable credit courses.
- Credits will count as UMass residency credits.
- In order to exceed your credit limit, you must petition for a credit override with you academic dean's office.
- Audits - You can only register during the Add/Drop Registration Period.
- Write "0" on the Five College Enrollment Request form for credit total.
- Amherst College NEVER allows audits.
Grades earned at the other four colleges are recorded on the UMass transcript and factored into the UMass grade point average.
Five College plus and minus grades factor as follows: A- (3.75), B+ (3.25), B- (2.75), C+ (2.25), C- (1.75), D+ (1.25), D- (0.75).
Pass/Fail - The four colleges all have a Pass/Fail option. This must be done during the first week of classes.
- For Amherst, Mt. Holyoke and Smith Colleges - go directly to their registrar's office and request a Pass/Fail Option - follow their instructions (which may include obtaining permission from the instructor).
- For Hampshire College, consult directly with the instructor.
- Once you have completed this request, ONLY "P" or "F" will be recorded - there will be no opportunity to receive a letter grade.
Incompletes - Amherst, Mt. Holyoke and Smith Colleges do not have policies regarding incompletes.
You may request an independent study, provided you have found a Five College faculty member to work with. Credits will be granted only if authorized by the Five College Interchange Office.
- Complete a Five College Enrollment Request form listing the appropriate department, course number, title and credits.
- Obtain a Five College Independent Study contract (available in the Five College Interchange Office). Provide a written description of the project SIGNED by the faculty member.
- Submit BOTH to the Five College Interchange Office.
- No additional cost for full-time students, except lab or lesson fees.
- Part-time students pay for the number of credits at UMass rates. Most semester courses at the four colleges carry 4 credits.
General Education Requirements
Some Five College courses already have a UMass General Education designation. The Five College Interchange Office has a list of these approved courses.
You may petition for a class to be granted a Ged Ed desigation.
- Obtain a "Request for Five College General Education Approval" form from the Five College Interchange Office
- Turn in the completed form with a copy of the course syllabus.
- You will be notified of the results via email after approximately two weeks.