UMass Amherst Mount Ida Campus
Welcome to the UMass Amherst Mount Ida Campus! As a secondary instructional and residential site of UMass Amherst, we want to make sure that your experience on the Newton Campus is a positive one. On this page are answers to some of the most commonly asked questions about the Mount Ida Campus.
- For academic-related questions we encourage you to reach out to your departmental contacts on the UMass Amherst Campus.
- For classroom assignment and scheduling, contact the Assistant Registrar for Scheduling at UMass Amherst: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Additional comprehensive information is also available in the New Faculty Quick Start Guide where you can find specific resources for teaching and research support.
Information Technology at UMass Amherst provides comprehensive support and services for technology use on this campus. In addition to accessing central IT services, members of the Mount Ida Campus have specific on-site services available in the Learning Center of Wadsworth Library.
- Detailed information regarding information technology services, support, and policies can be found at umass.edu/it.
- Call 413-545-TECH (8324) to request Help Desk assistance for the Mount Ida Campus.
- Setting up classrooms with Echo 360 capability requires coordination between the UMass Amherst and Mount Ida campus.
Walk-in Help Desk services are located in the Learning Center/Wadsworth Library, providing assistance to students, faculty, and staff with campus connectivity, software, and support. Individuals with time-sensitive requests for classroom technology issues or information technology assistance should call the local Help Desk:
- X1311 from campus phones
- 617-243-1311 from external phones
TO GET ON LINE:
Follow these steps to connect to the eduroam wireless network.
The Dining Commons serves faculty, staff and students and is located in the Campus Center (Building 11). Snacks, bottled drinks, breakfast, lunch and dinner are available for purchase.
- Hours during semesters: Monday-Friday 7:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.; Saturday-Sunday 12:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
- The Dining Commons will be closed or have limited hours certain days of the year. You will be notified of these days in advance.
The university offers two rideshare options to explore the greater Newton Area.
- NewMo is one of our rideshare options. The app can be downloaded on Android or iOS smartphones and provides more exact destinations in the Newton area during weekday business hours.
- The Uber program provides individuals with the option to travel to pre-approved locations for healthcare, access to the “T”, or to purchase supplies. To register for the Uber program, please contact Campus Director, Steve Reynolds.
A shuttle service between the Amherst and Mount Ida campuses leaves from both campuses at 8:00 AM and 3:00 PM, Monday through Friday. Note: riders must make a reservation for these trips because the shuttle doesn’t run continuously if there are no scheduled rides. See: Transportation : Mount Ida Campus : UMass Amherst. Reservations can be made via the Bookings page
The Wadsworth Library is located in Building 18. Semester hours are as follows:
- Monday-Thursday 9:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
- Friday 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Saturday 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
The campus Athletic Center operates on a limited schedule. Please visit the center (Building 8) for the posted hours of operation. Individuals may use the equipment as well as the outdoor tennis and basketball courts near Trustee Field. The walking/hiking trails accessible near Malloy Hall (Building 3) are an off-campus public space.
MAIL AND PACKAGES:
The mailroom for incoming mail and packages is located in the Campus Security Office (Building 14 - Holbrook Hall). You will be notified by campus email if you have a mail item waiting for you. Outgoing mail can be dropped in the blue mailbox outside of Alumnae Hall (Building 15). All mail should be addressed to 100 Carlson Ave, Newton MA 02459 with your name and department/business.
- The Campus Security Office is located in Holbrook Hall (Building 14). They are available 24/7 at 617-243-1477 (creating a contact in your phone is recommended).
- In case of a life-threatening emergency, dial 911 from any campus landline or from your mobile phone and indicate that you are on the Mount Ida Campus in Newton.
- If you are having difficulty accessing your building or are locked out, please contact Security.
- Please register for emergency alerts by texting UMassMtIdaAlerts to 78015 or copying this link into a browser: www.getrave.com/login/mountidacampusofumassamherst
HEALTH AND COUNSELING SERVICES:
- If you are experiencing a life-threatening health emergency, dial 911 and indicate that you are on the Mount Ida Campus in Newton.
- The Mount Ida Campus Health and Counseling Clinic is located in the Appleton Building (21) and is open for in-person and telemedicine visits by appointment only. Phone: 617-243-1381.
- The closest Urgent Care is Chestnut Hill Urgent Care (Route 9 East) at 200 Boylston Street, Newton, MA 02467 (617-278-8500) M-F 11am-9pm & Sat-Sun 9am-7pm
- The closest Emergency Room is located at Newton Wellesley Hospital located at 2014 Washington St, Newton, MA 02462 (617-243-6193)
- Rapid antigen Covid-19 tests are available in the health center and in the security office.
- Symptomatic Covid-19 testing is also available in the health center. Please call 617-243-1381 for an appointment.
- Click here for more information.
QUESTIONS AND CONCERNS:
- Contact: Jennifer Reynolds, Director Campus and Career Programming, email@example.com, 617-243-1119 with any questions.