Getting Started

How do I access all of the online services on campus?

Your IT Account NetID and password give you access you access to most online services, like SPIRE (UMass Amherst's online student information system), teaching and learning technologies (Moodle, Echo360, etc.), library resources, and HR services. If you have not yet received your NetID, contact the IT Service Desk.

How do I sign up for payroll, health insurance and other benefits?

You will need to attend a New Employee Orientation (not to be confused with the New Faculty Orientationwith the Office of Human Resources (HR). Your department’s personnel coordinator will register you for an orientation date and you will receive an email from an HR contact about important paperwork due dates and what documentation to bring with you to orientation.

Do I need a campus ID card?

We encourage you to get a UCard, which will allow you to take books out of the library, use the PVTA bus system, UMass recreational facilities, and more.

What are my options for commuting and parking?

If you plan to park a car on campus, you will need to purchase a parking permit through Transportation Services.

Pioneer Valley Transit Authority (PVTA) buses connect the UMass campus with Amherst and 23 neighboring towns and cities in addition to the nearby campuses of other Five College Consortium institutions. Many of the PVTA bus routes that serve our campus are operated by UMass Transit

Where can I find information on available rental apartments and homes?

The UMass Amherst Off Campus Housing page contains updated information regarding available leases as well as general advice for renting in the Pioneer Valley.

Where can international faculty get assistance on immigration matters and visas?

The International Programs Office supports the UMass Amherst international community and provides a variety of information and services regarding U.S. immigration assistance as well as cultural and programming opportunities.

Where can I find information about preschool, elementary, and secondary schools in western Massachusetts?

GreatSchools is a helpful nonprofit online resource that provides information about public and private PK-12 schools in Massachusetts, searchable by town/city, school district, or type of school. 

What supports are available to faculty parents?

  • The Center for Early Education and Care offers full-day and flexible schedule services for toddlers and preschool-aged children throughout the year.
  • The Childcare Assistance Program  helps new tenure- track faculty with childcare expenses in the first three years of employment at UMass.
  • The Office of Faculty Development provides curated resources of  information, options, and support for faculty caregivers 

Am I eligible for tuition benefits?

The University offers tuition waivers/remission to benefited university employees and retirees, and to the spouses and dependent children of benefited university employees and retirees. Tuition discounts (waivers and remission) apply to classes taken at UMass campuses and other Massachusetts public institutions of higher education.

Is there a spousal/partner employment program?

The Provost’s Office sponsors a Partner Employment Program (PEP), which provides partial, temporary salary support for the spouses/partners of some newly-hired tenure-system faculty.

What is the governance model for UMass Amherst?

The Faculty Senate is responsible for faculty participation in university planning and governance and has numerous standing and ad hoc councils and committees. Departments’ bylaws also provide an overview of local governance.

Where can I find information on the different leave policies (i.e., sick, personal, vacation, parental, or bereavement leave)?

The Massachusetts Society of Professors (MSP) contract has information on the various leave policies.

Where can I find the university’s expectations about reappointment, promotion and tenure?

The Office of the Provost's Academic Personnel web page includes information about reappointment, promotion, and tenure processes at UMass Amherst. You are also encouraged to engage in regular discussions with your chair about department and college-level expectations. The Massachusetts Society of Professors (MSP) is also a useful resource.

Can I stop the “tenure clock”?

You can request to delay your tenure decision year for several reasons, including caregiving needs. For parental leave, the delay is automatic but can be reversed at any time if you wish. The UMass Amherst postponement of tenure-year decision language, under the parental leave policy, is stated in the Massachusetts Society of Professors (MSP) contract.