What tips do you have to help me manage my time during the semester?
- Consider putting a statement on your syllabus about how long you will take to respond to student emails (some faculty say within 24-48 hours).
- Determine a calendar/scheduling system that works for you. Some faculty use Microsoft Exchange to schedule meetings, while others prefer Google Calendar or YouCanBookMe for office hours sign-ups.
- Commit to a project management system to accomplish daily goals (e.g., the 1-3-5 Rule, the Bullet Journal system, or Getting Things Done Workflow System).
What resources does UMass Amherst offer for health and well-being?
- The Faculty and Staff Assistance Program (FSAP) is a free and confidential counseling, consultation, and referral service that assists employees in resolving personal, work- related, and family problems.
- Staffed by licensed mental health providers, the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health provides short-term individual, couple’s, and group psychotherapy; psychiatric medication consultation and treatment; psychological assessment (testing); behavioral medicine; and crisis intervention services.
- Campus Recreation offers a variety of fitness programs (personal and group fitness classes).
- Newmass Yoga offers yoga classes in the Newman Center.
- Religious and Spiritual Life holds weekly meditation groups.
Where can I go to refresh and reset?
- The Durfee Conservatory is a greenhouse complex that features a bonsai collection, orchid collection, succulents, and tropical plants that surround a 4,000 gallon fish pond!
- You can visit the Fine Arts Center, which offers arts programming and is home to the University Museum of Contemporary Art.
- The Faculty Commons on the 26th floor in the W.E.B. Du Bois Library is a great place to get work done besides your office.
What are my dining options on campus?
- The UMass Dining app makes it easy to access campus dining locations with daily menus, operating hours, and real-time traffic reports. Faculty can buy a meal plan or pay with cash or credit and eat in any of the dining locations. Marriott Meals is a student-run restaurant in the Campus Center, managed by students who are studying hospitality management through the Isenberg School of Management.