How do I find funding for my research?

The Office of Research and Engagement provides links to internal and external sources of funding for scientific and academic research.


I’m bringing a grant with me to UMass—what should I do?

Consult with your department head/chair and seek the Office of Research Administration & Compliance’s advice on transferring grants.


How do I apply for an external grant?

Contact to the administrative staff person in your department/college/school who assists faculty with grant submissions. They coordinate with the UMass Office of Pre-Award Services (OPAS) who, ultimately, submits your proposal to the external sponsor.  UMass Amherst uses the Kuali Research Software System to assemble and submit proposals. There are on-line and in-person trainings for researchers to learn the basics of what you need to know.  UMass has a five-day pre-submission procedure policy.  


Does my College/School offer research support?

Some, but not all, colleges and schools offer centralized services for supporting faculty research and scholarship. (refer to your college or school’s website.) You can also speak with your college’s associate dean of research who is there to support your work.


What types of central campus supports are available to help me with my research?

The Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research and Engagement provides leadership, support, and oversight for research and engagements with academic, industry, and government partners.  

Research Administration and Compliance also oversees facilities and services to support specialized research needs, including:

  • Animal use and care
  • Human subjects research
  • Biological and chemical safety
  • Export control
  • Responsible conduct of research
  • Conflict of interest
  • Data security
  • Specialized facility access


Where can I find information about the research activities of my new colleagues here at UMass Amherst?

ResearchNext is a short-form online magazine highlighting the research, scholarship, and creative activity that distinguishes UMass Amherst as a top research university. UMass Amherst is home to approximately 60 campus- based research Centers and Institutes spanning a wide array of disciplines and specialties within and across campus colleges and schools. Sign up for the Inside UMass email, which is a weekly newsletter. It’s your best way to stay up-to-date on news, events and the many accomplishments of our faculty, staff and students.


What research supports are available through the libraries?


What should I know about research grants and compliance at UMass Amherst?

Begin with your department or college before starting to develop a proposal to assess available support and to coordinate with the central offices.   Research & Engagement has outlined some of the steps and related resources UMass offers in support of the development of proposals for sponsored project funding.  Central campus support for proposal development, prior to submission, is available from:

The Office of Research Compliance oversees all compliance requirements at UMass related to research under one coordinated unit. Major areas of compliance include:

What other research-related resources are helpful to know?

There are many resources available to new faculty, some of which are specific to a particular area of research and scholarly activity. Some of the more generally applicable resources are listed here:

Publishing supports include:

Methodology supports include:

​​​​​​​UMass Amherst Libraries supports include: