How do I find funding for my research?
I’m bringing a grant with me to UMass—what should I do?
Consult with your department head/chair and seek the Office of Research Administration & Compliance’s advice on transferring grants.
How do I apply for an external grant?
Contact to the administrative staff person in your department/college/school who assists faculty with grant submissions. They coordinate with the UMass Office of Pre-Award Services (OPAS) who, ultimately, submits your proposal to the external sponsor. UMass Amherst uses the Kuali Research Software System to assemble and submit proposals. There are on-line and in-person trainings for researchers to learn the basics of what you need to know. UMass has a five-day pre-submission procedure policy.
Does my College/School offer research support?
Some, but not all, colleges and schools offer centralized services for supporting faculty research and scholarship. (refer to your college or school’s website.) You can also speak with your college’s associate dean of research who is there to support your work.
What types of central campus supports are available to help me with my research?
The Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research and Engagement provides leadership, support, and oversight for research and engagements with academic, industry, and government partners.
- Office of Research Development: Supports and coordinates development of large-scale, interdisciplinary proposals and center-level proposals; supports and trains faculty in grantsmanship; supports strategic research development initiatives; and administers the UMass internal grant programs.
- Technology Transfer Office: Oversees the commercialization of UMass research for public benefit.
- UMass Innovation Institute: Facilitates flexible and creative industry partnerships.
- UMass Press: Publishes, edits, designs, and markets first- rate books.
- Office of Pre-Award Services (OPAS): Oversees grant proposal submission and offer proposal development support.
- Office of Post-Award Management (OPAM): Oversees sponsor negotiation, award setup
Research Administration and Compliance also oversees facilities and services to support specialized research needs, including:
- Animal use and care
- Human subjects research
- Biological and chemical safety
- Export control
- Responsible conduct of research
- Conflict of interest
- Data security
- Specialized facility access
Where can I find information about the research activities of my new colleagues here at UMass Amherst?
ResearchNext is a short-form online magazine highlighting the research, scholarship, and creative activity that distinguishes UMass Amherst as a top research university. UMass Amherst is home to approximately 60 campus- based research Centers and Institutes spanning a wide array of disciplines and specialties within and across campus colleges and schools. Sign up for the Inside UMass email, which is a weekly newsletter. It’s your best way to stay up-to-date on news, events and the many accomplishments of our faculty, staff and students.
What research supports are available through the libraries?
- Research Services provides an overview of available research databases, citation management systems, and subject guides.
- Research Data Services will help you create a data management plan or select a data repository in which to share the final results of your work.
- The Digital Scholarship Center assists faculty in the creation of digital projects.
- The Academic Liaison Program provides each department with a librarian who is your point person for the Libraries’ services and resources.
- Special Collections and University Archives provides primary resources in the history of social change used and introductions to archival research.
- You can always schedule a Research Consultation.
What should I know about research grants and compliance at UMass Amherst?
Begin with your department or college before starting to develop a proposal to assess available support and to coordinate with the central offices. Research & Engagement has outlined some of the steps and related resources UMass offers in support of the development of proposals for sponsored project funding. Central campus support for proposal development, prior to submission, is available from:
- Office of Pre-Award Services (OPAS) reviews and endorses proposals institutionally and submits them to sponsors.
- Office of Research Development: large-scale proposals/strategic initiatives/internal funding/ capacity-building workshops.
- Office of Project Management and Training: project management support for complex proposals and research administration training for faculty and staff
- Corporate and Foundation Relations: assistance to faculty seeking to secure private foundation and non- governmental external funding.
- The UMass Innovation Institute: facilitates industry- sponsored research collaborations.
- UMass Amherst Libraries’ Research Data Services: assistance with all aspects of data management throughout the life of your scholarship, including data management plans required by many sponsors.
- The Technology Transfer Office provides central campus support for technology transfer and intellectual property management.
The Office of Research Compliance oversees all compliance requirements at UMass related to research under one coordinated unit. Major areas of compliance include:
- Animal User Training
- Institutional Review Board (IRB)
- Human Subjects CITI Training (compliance for IRB)
- Research Ethics
- Research Safety and Security
- Export Controls
What other research-related resources are helpful to know?
There are many resources available to new faculty, some of which are specific to a particular area of research and scholarly activity. Some of the more generally applicable resources are listed here:
Publishing supports include:
- UMass Press
- Digital Scholarship & Consultation Services
- Copyright Services and Open Access
- OFD Scholarly Writing Support
Methodology supports include:
- Center for Research on Families Methodology Program
- Institute for Social Science Research Methodology Workshops
- Statistical Consultation and Collaboration Services
UMass Amherst Libraries supports include:
- Digital Media Lab
- Digital Scholarship Center
- Patent & Trademark Resource Center (PTRC)
- Science & Engineering Library
- Special Collections and University Archives