Faculty Life

How do I access all of the online services on campus?

Your NetID and password gives you access to most online services, like our student information system (SPIRE), UMass learning management systems (Moodle, Blackboard), library resources, and human resources services. If you have not yet received your NetID, contact UMass Amherst IT User Services at 413-545-8324.

How do I sign up for payroll, health insurance and other benefits?

You will need to attend a New Employee Orientation (not to be confused with the New Faculty Orientation) with the Office of Human Resources (HR). Your department’s personnel coordinator will register you for an orientation date and you will receive an email from an HR contact about important paperwork due dates and what documentation to bring with you to orientation.

Do I need a campus ID card?

We encourage you to get a UCard, which will allow you to take books out of the library, use the PVTA bus system and the UMass recreational facilities.

What are my options for commuting and parking?

If you plan to park a car on campus, you will need to purchase a parking permit through Transportation Services. UMass Transit operates PVTA buses for the Five Colleges and some neighboring towns and provides information on routes and schedules. You can also access bus schedules through the PVTA Bus Tracker app. The UMass Commuter Options Program has also started forming vanpools.

Where can I find information on available rental apartments and homes?

Some helpful sites include UMass Amherst’s Off Campus Housing Service, Western Mass craigslist, and Rent Noho.

Where can international faculty go for assistance on immigration matters and visas?

The International Programs Office supports the UMass Amherst international community and provides a variety of information and services regarding U.S. immigration assistance as well as cultural and programming opportunities.

Where can I find the names of elementary and secondary schools in Western Massachusetts?

GreatSchools is a website that provides a list of schools in the area, organized by town/city and county.

Is there a spousal/partner employment program?

The Provost’s Office sponsors a Partner Employment Program, which provides partial, temporary salary support for the spouses/partners of some newly-hired tenure-system faculty.

Where can I find the university’s expectations about reappointment, promotion and tenure?

The Provost’s Office has an informative website on the promotion process for NTT and TT faculty, in addition to regular discussions with your chair about department and college-level expectations. MSP also is a useful resource.

What is the governance model for UMass Amherst?

The Faculty Senate is responsible for faculty participation in university planning and governance and has numerous standing and ad hoc councils and committees. Departments’ bylaws also provide an overview of local governance.

What resources are available to faculty to support diversity, equity, and inclusion at UMass Amherst?

UMass Amherst is committed to building an inclusive community of dignity and respect. Here is list of campus programs that support and encourage our diverse community.

Where can I find information on the different leave policies (i.e., sick, personal, vacation, parental, or bereavement leave)?

The Massachusetts Society of Professors (MSP) contract has information on the  various leave policies.

Can I stop the “tenure clock”?

You can request to delay your tenure decision year for several reasons, including caregiving needs.  For parental leave, the delay is automatic but can be reversed at any time if you wish. The UMass Amherst postponement of tenure-year decision language, under the parental leave policy, is stated in the Massachusetts Society of Professors (MSP) contract.

What supports are available to faculty parents?

  • The Office of Family Resources provides information on events for UMass Amherst families, as well as childcare options.
  • The Center for Early Education and Care offers full-day and flexible schedule services for toddlers and preschool-aged children throughout the year.
  • The Childcare Assistance Program  helps new tenure- track faculty with childcare expenses in the first three years of employment at UMass.
  • The Office of Faculty Development supports a mutual mentoring program for faculty with young children.  Please contact OFD if you'd like to learn more. 

Am I eligible for tuition benefits?

Full-time benefited UMass Amherst employees and their spouses, domestic partners, and unmarried dependent children (through age 25) are eligible for tuition waivers and/or tuition remission.