Walking Tour of Slavery in Florence, Mass.
February 23, 2019
10:00 am-1:00 pm
UMass Amherst Campus
In celebration of Black Heritage Month, the Malcolm X Cultural Center is hosting a guided, walking tour to learn about the history of slavery and its impacts locally in Florence (Northampton), Mass.
- 10:00 a.m. – Pick up students from Haigis Mall to the David Ruggles Center in Florence, MA.
- 11:30 a.m. – The tour will start at the David Ruggles Center and will visit the following:
- Sojourner Truth Memorial
- Old Silk building
- Site David Ruggles’ water healing firm
- Basil Dorsey’s home
- Thomas H. Jones’ home ( Nonotuck Street, Florence was the center of activity in the early 19th century and an area where many Blacks resided and found employment.)
- Back to David Ruggles Center
- 1:00 p.m. – Return to UMass
Water will be provided; seating is on a first-come, first-serve basis.