Unions & Worker Co-ops: Building Economic Democracy
April 25, 2019
12:00 pm-2:30 pm
Room: Hadley Room
UMass Amherst Campus
A participatory workshop exploring how unions and worker co-operatives can and are joining forces to build economic democracy, labor solidarity and a more just and sustainable world.
Guest presenter: Rebecca Lurie of the Community and Worker Ownership Project at the CUNY School of Labor and Union Studies.
The workshop will explore:
- What are worker cooperatives?
- Are worker cooperatives a new way to organize working people? Are they a useful new tool for your union?
- Why would labor unions be interested?
- How can unions and the cooperative movement work together? What are existing examples?
- What are some first steps forward for unionists to support worker cooperatives?
Organized by Wellspring Cooperative's Labor Co-op Committee.
The Campus Center is located in the middle of campus at 1 Campus Center Way. Parking is available in the Campus Center Garage.