Entrepreneurship Workshop: Business Nuts and Bolts
April 9, 2019
8:30 am-10:30 am
Commonwealth Honors College
Room: Events Hall 160 West
UMass Amherst Campus
Business Nuts and Bolts: From Idea to Entrepreneur to Business Launch – How do I get started?
Panelists: Amanda Garcia, Elms College and private accountant; Samalid Hogan MSBDC; Amy Shapiro, Franklin County CDC
Universities are great at inspiring entrepreneurial activity, helping emerging entrepreneurs discover their “best” customer and scanning the marketing for competitors. We tend to be high on strategy, yet leave what it takes to get a company going to the entrepreneur. This highly-practical session will present some of the activities and actions a small business owner needs to consider to get things moving in a legal, financial and hands on way.
Experts in starting companies will share on topics that might include:
- Getting a license to start your business
- Tax status and entity formation options (LLC, Sole Proprietor, C Corp, etc)
- Basics needed to get a bank account and how to keep track of simple finances before you are ready for an accountant
- Legal and ethical issues around hiring and firing
- How to create a founders agreement – when to give out equity and when to create benchmarks for vesting?
- How to engage support before you have any revenue?
- How to make sure you your idea is protected?
This will not cover everything, but provide a taste to allow founders what they need to know and what steps need to be taken to move things forward. Attendees will walk away with some highly practical steps needed to take so they don’t get in trouble later on.
This workshop has three components:
- Business startup panel on getting a company launched after the idea is ready to move forward