The University of Massachusetts Amherst


View of South College

A listing of both campus and external resources to assist individuals in addressing issues of sexual misconduct and civil rights violations. This includes some campus resources which are confidential in nature, which may offer additional support.

Please note that if you are deaf, hard-of-hearing, late deafened, or speech disabled, please use MassRelay ( This is a free, confidential, relay service provided by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, enabling communication over regular telephone lines through the use of a relay operator.

The Dean of Students Office (DOSO)

The Dean of Students Office can assist victims/survivors in changing class schedule, moving to a different residence hall, talking with professors, withdrawing from classes etc, as related to sexual and relationship violence. Victims/survivors do not have to file a formal complaint under the student code of conduct to request these resources. 

227 Whitmore Administration Building
Phone: (413) 545-2684

UMass Amherst Police Department (UMPD)*

The UMass Police Department serves as a confidential resource for reporting and criminal investigation of incidents of sexual violence/harassment, relationship violence and stalking.  Additionally, the UMass Police Department provides prevention services such as Rape Aggression Defense courses, a night time escort service and other awareness raising and preventative information.*UMPD is a non-confidential resource with the exception of rape and domestic violence issues.

Emergency Phone: 911
Non-emergency phone: (413) 545-2121
585 East Pleasant Street

The Center for Women and Community (CWC) (Confidential)

The Center for Women and Community is a free confidential resource for people of all gender identities and expressions. The Center provides free, confidential crisis services, counseling and support groups for victim/survivors of sexual and relationship violence and stalking including 24/7 phone support, peer counseling, and assistance with: working with the Dean’s Office to request resources and/or to use the student conduct process, talking to the police, courts, getting health care or going to the hospital. Services are also available to community members, other Five College students, staff and faculty.

Sexual Assault Support and Advocacy (SASA) Hotline: (413) 545-0800
Confidential Crisis and Information Hotline Available 24 Hours/7 Days a Week

Main phone: (413) 545-0883
180 Infirmary Way
New Africa House

University Health Services (UHS) (Confidential)

UHS is a designated SANE (Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner) site, providing confidential, free, compassionate services for male, female, and transgender survivors.  The Massachusetts Department of Public Health specially trains, certifies, and supports registered nurses and physicians to provide quality care and forensic evidence collection to sexual assault survivors.

Emergency Phone: 911

150 Infirmary Way
Main Phone: (413) 577-5000 
Web: and

Center for Counseling and Psychological Health (CCPH) (Confidential)

CCPH provides confidential supportive mental health services to survivors of sexual violence and harassment, as well as general mental health concerns.  On weekdays after 5 p.m., weekends and holidays, you can call the Protocall Crisis Line at (877) 831-7421 to speak with a clinician. CCPH services include: crisis intervention; short-term therapy for individuals, couples and families; support and therapy groups; behavioral medicine; psychiatric services; an eating disorders clinic; assessments for attention deficit/hyperactivity and learning disabilities; suicide prevention training; and consultation and education.

ProtoCall Crisis Line at (877) 831-7421 weekdays after 4:30 p.m., weekends, and holidays. 

101 Middlesex House
Main Phone: (413) 545-2337

The Employee Counseling and Consultation Office (ECCO) (Confidential)

The Employee Counseling and Consultation Office is a free, confidential service offering counseling, information, consultation and referrals for UMass Amherst faculty and staff.  The ECCO helps resolve work-related and personal concerns through confidential assessment, counseling, consultation and referrals.

219 Hampshire House
Phone: (413) 545-0350

Student Legal Services Office (Confidential)

The Student Legal Services Office provides confidential advice, counsel, referrals and community legal education for students.

922 Campus Center
Phone: (413) 545-1995

Residential Education

Residential Education offers a residential experience that supports students’ learning, personal growth, and academic achievement.  We foster inclusive communities, create social and educational opportunities, and provide safe and well-maintained residence halls.  Residential Life staff provides resources to survivors of sexual violence and harassment, including connecting students to other offices on campus, and facilitating room assignment changes or temporary moves. The Residence Director (RD) or the on-call Residence Director can talk with survivors about options, support and campus services navigation.  In some cases the RD on-call can also arrange for a temporary move on campus.

211 Berkshire House
Phone: (413) 545-6923

Athletic Department

The Department of Athletics provides a comprehensive, challenging, professionally-managed intercollegiate athletics program that encourages student-athletes to achieve their highest academic, athletic and personal aspirations. Programs sponsored by the University adhere to the highest standards of integrity and ethics. The Department promotes principles of good sportsmanship, honesty and fiscal responsibility in compliance with university, state, NCAA, and conference regulations. The Department promotes and supports the University's comprehensive commitment to diversity and equity, providing equitable opportunity for all students and staff including women and minorities. 

Kirsten Britton
Senior Associate Athletic Director
20 Boyden Building
Phone: (413) 545-4086

Ombuds Office (Confidential)

The Ombuds Office is a unique place where all current UMass Amherst students, faculty and staff can talk confidentially and "off the record" about any campus concern, issue, or conflict. The Ombuds staff works with visitors in a variety of ways to help them understand their options and resolve their concerns. The Office works to foster a culture in which differences can be resolved through respectful communication and fair process.

823 Campus Center
Phone: (413) 545-0867

Disability Services for Students

Disability Services for Students is committed to full access for all students at the University and embraces the philosophy of social justice. Direct services are provided for all types of disability. Disability Services also provides information and referral on issues of accessibility, coordinates guest accommodations and provides training and staff development to the University community.

161 Whitmore Administration Building
Phone: (413) 545-0892

Equal Opportunity and Access - Workplace Accommodations

The Equal Opportunity and Access Office (EOA) is responsible for the intake and determination of employee (faculty and staff) workplace accommodations. Faculty and staff seeking accommodations should contact the EOA office located in Bartlett Hall.

225 Bartlett Hall
Phone: (413) 545-3464


Human Resources

Human Resources serves both employees and campus departments, by providing information online and in person, through the Employee Service Center located in the Whitmore building.

325 Whitmore Administration Building
Phone: (413) 545-1396

Labor Relations

Labor Relations represents the University for collective bargaining contracts and in labor management matters. Labor Relations also administers the contracts and bargaining agreements with the exception of the GEO and MSP.

330 Whitmore Administration Building
Phone: (413) 545-2736

Workplace Climate & Bullying

Workplace Climate & Bullying is the initiative to address campus climate issues, including the prevention of, and response to, workplace bullying.

301 Whitmore Administration Building
Phone: (413) 262-4556

Workplace Learning and Development

Workplace Learning and Development promotes employee and organizational growth and development through educational opportunities, both in person and online.

303 Goodell Building
Phone: (413) 545-1787

Collective Bargaining Units 

If you are an employee represented by a collective bargaining unit, you should also contact the appropriate office for advice and assistance:

  • American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees (AFSCME), Council 93, Local 1776, AFL/CIO – for service/maintenance and skilled craft personnel, (413) 545-2831
  • Graduate Employee Organization (GEO), Local 2322, UAW – for teaching assistants, research assistants, and graduate students with similar assignments, (413) 545-0705
  • New England Police Benevolent Association (NEPBA) – for police officers, (413) 545-2121
  • International Brotherhood of Police Officers (IBPO-B) – for police sergeants, (413) 545-2121
  • The Massachusetts Society of Professors/Faculty Staff Union (MSP) – for faculty members and librarians, (413) 545-2206
  • Professional Staff Union Massachusetts Teachers Association (PSU/MTA) for non-faculty professional personnel, (413) 545-4509
  • Resident Assistant (RA) Union, Local 2322, UAW – for Resident Assistants, (413) 545-0705
  • United Auto Workers (Postdocs) – for Post-Doctoral Research Associates and Senior Post-Doctoral Research Associates
  • University Staff Association, an Affiliate of the Massachusetts Teachers Association/NEA (USA/MTA/NEA) – for secretarial/clerical and technical/paraprofessional personnel, (413) 545-0165

Title IX at UMass

The Title IX website contains information relevant to UMass Amherst which includes how and where to report concerns, campus support resources, laws and mandates and contact information for the Title IX Coordinator and Coordination Team. 


Office of Equity and Inclusion

The Office of Equity and Inclusion is a one-stop site for information on the support systems, organizations, policies and procedures, news, and events related to diversity, equity and inclusion at UMass Amherst.


Civil Rights and Sexual Misconduct - External Agencies:

Safe Passage Domestic Violence Program

Safe Passage is a CONFIDENTIAL resource that provides free 24/7 phone crisis intervention, counseling, safety planning, advocacy, shelter, outreach and legal support for victims of domestic violence.  The program has specialized services for survivors with disabilities, children, Latina survivors and immigrant women. Services are available to anyone who has experienced domestic violence, regardless of gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation. 

24 hr Hotline: (413) 586-5066 or (888) 345-5282 (toll-free)

Northwestern District Attorney’s Office

The Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Unit works closely with police departments, courts and social service agencies to address the serious problem of domestic violence and sexual assault through prosecution of the offenders and the development of strategies for prevention and intervention for the victims. 

Hampshire County Office 
One Gleason Plaza
Northampton, MA 01060
Phone: (413) 586-9225 
Fax: (413) 584-3635

Office for Civil Rights (OCR)/U.S. Department of Education 

The OCR monitors: 1) Title IX, which specifies prohibitions against discrimination on the basis of sex in educational programs; 2) the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, which prohibits discrimination based on handicap in areas related to employment, program accessibility, and student programs.  Anyone who has a complaint relating to sex discrimination or discrimination based on personal impairment may contact:

Boston Office:
Office for Civil Rights
U.S. Department of Education
5 Post Office Square, 8th Floor
Boston, MA 02109-3921
Telephone: (617) 289-0111
TTY: (800) 877-8339

Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination (MCAD) 

Under Chapter 151B, Massachusetts General Laws Annotated, it is unlawful to discriminate against a person(s) on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, handicapping condition, veteran status, or sexual orientation.  The MCAD, a state agency, monitors discrimination in the areas of housing, employment, loans, and educational opportunities.  Any person claiming to be aggrieved by an alleged unlawful practice may file a complaint with this agency.  The offices to contact are: 

Springfield Office:
Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination
436 Dwight Street, Room 220
Springfield, MA  01103
(413) 739-2145

Boston Office:
Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination
1 Ashburton Place, Suite 601
Boston, MA  02108
(617) 994-6000
TTY:(617) 994-6196

Updated August 14, 2020