The University of Massachusetts Amherst

How to Get Support and How to Report Assaults

How to Get Support and How to Report Assaults 

Who Should report: All “Responsible Employees’ who become aware of a potential incident of sexual misconduct, sexual assault, sexual harassment under Title IX, relationship violence, stalking or other assault or harassment involving a student, staff, faculty member at the University of Massachusetts Amherst—either as victim[1] or perpetrator[2]—on or off campus, must promptly report the incident(s).  This is subject to exceptions that can apply to attorneys; licensed clinicians, certified rape crisis or domestic violence counselors, or clergy.

All 'Responsible Employees' which include; 

  • Faculty with administrative or supervisory responsibilities (deans and associate deans, heads and chairs, graduate and undergraduate program directors; faculty athletic representatives and directors of centers and institutes);
  • All staff that are academic advisors;
  • All coaches and trainers;
  • All advisors to Registered Student Organizations, intramural sports, and other student groups;
  • All supervising travel external to the university and any contractors doing the same;
  • All personnel in Student Affairs with the exception of confidential employees;
  • Staff in managerial and supervisory roles and
  • Campus police officers (but, see exception noted below);

Exception: Although campus police officers are designated as Responsible Employees, if a student or employee reporting sexual assault or domestic violence requests confidentiality, the campus police officer must not disclose the name of the reporting party to the Title IX Coordinator.

Who to Report to: The Responsible Employee should immediately report the matter to:

  • Directly to the Dean of Students Office, The Equal Opportunity Office, the Title IX Coordinator or a Deputy Title IX Coordinator. Individuals may report to their supervisor who will report to offices above.

What will Happen: If the report involves Title IX defined prohibited conduct, the Title IX Coordinator or designees will coordinate the university’s immediate response to the report, including implementing supportive measures. The Dean of Students Office will undertake supportive measures and the Equal Opportunity Office will conduct a formal complaint investigation if a complaint is filed.  The university’s response and follow up will take every precaution to ensure privacy.

How to Help: Encourage the victim/survivor to get support.  The Center for Women & Community provides crisis intervention; advocacy and assistance in getting medical attention for victims/survivors of all genders.  The Center for Counseling and Psychological Health provides mental health crisis counseling for students. Both centers offer 24/7 support. The Faculty Staff Assistance Program provides counseling for employees.  Victim/Survivors can also contact the University of Massachusetts Police Department (UMPD), the Dean of Students Office, Equal Opportunity and/or the Title IX Coordinator on behalf of yourself or another. If seeking support for another, and have contact the Dean’s Office or Equal Opportunity, please let the victim/survivor know that the office will reach out directly to them.

What Not to Do: Do not attempt to investigate the matter.

[1] UMass recognizes that an individual may choose to self-identify as a victim or survivor. On this website, we may use victim, survivor, reporter, reporting party, complaining party.
[2] On this website, we may use perpetuator, accused, respondent, responding party.