MFA candidates are funded through a range of appointments including Teaching Associate, Teaching Assistant, and Research Assistant positions; fellowships; and paid internships. Currently, approximately 90% of full-time candidates are funded at a level sufficient to bring a waiver of tuition and most fees. In addition, the MFA Program offers several smaller fellowships and awards each year.
Teaching & Research Appointments
- The University Writing Program, which oversees undergraduate composition courses, appoints more MFA candidates than any other single office. Incoming and current candidates may apply for appointments which carry a 3-section per year teaching load and are renewable for up to three years. Salary is approximately $23,050 per year and includes tuition credit.
- Undergraduate creative writing sections, offered through the English Department, are typically awarded to MFA candidates in their second or third years in the program. Current candidates may apply for single-semester appointments in the late fall for the following year. Salary is approximately $11,525 and includes tuition credit.
- jubilat’s Managing Editor position is designated for MFA candidates and is supported by a Research Assistantship. Calls for applications are released as needed for this three year position.
- Candidates also pursue teaching and research positions in other departments on campus including, recently, the Center for Teaching, Film Studies, University News Office, and the College of Natural Sciences.
- Incoming candidates are considered for MFA Fellowships in addition to their Teaching Appointments. Fellowship recipients are chosen by the MFA Admissions Committee and are notified directly.
Internships & Awards
- Through the Juniper Summer Writing Institute, MFA candidates may apply to serve as creative writing instructors for the Institute for Young Writers, earning academic credit and stipends.
- The Juniper Initiative sponsors multiple internships bringing applied literary arts credit and stipends for work pertaining to programs including: the Juniper Summer Writing Institute, Juniper Literary Festival, Jones/jubilat
- Other internships may bring credit and/or stipends available with a range of organizations through the Applied Literary Arts Program.
- In addition, each year candidates may enter a range of competitions bringing cash awards and/or publication.